Would a verbal agreement that initiated the basis for a rental agreement supersede an unsigned contract that differs? 8 Answers as of December 26, 2013

2 months ago, I relocated and found a property for rent. I met with a gentleman who is the Property Manager (PM) and after viewing the house and discussing the terms, we verbally agreed to a 12m lease with an exclusive right to terminate the lease given 30 day notice if, and only if, it was due to work relocation. The PM said that he agreed to those terms and as such, I paid a 1-month deposit and first month’s rent. 3 weeks later, I was presented with an unsigned "Lease Agreement" which had no mention of this option to terminate. I then contacted the PM and told him that this was not our agreement and that I would not alter the terms of our verbal contract. He then said he'd get back to me. He didn't. Now work has relocated me in 40 days. How should I proceed? Do I have the law on my side?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
The written is meaningless if unsigned. Give 30 days written notice and pay to the end of the month and you are good.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 12/23/2013
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
The oral agreement would be enforceable as any other agreement, the only issue would be in proving the terms if the PM argues that he never agreed to your terms. It could be a problem of proof.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 12/23/2013
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
Since you never signed the lease agreement, it is sufficient for you to give a 30 day notice of termination.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/23/2013
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Verbal leases are valid if their term is less than 1 year. So give him as much notice as you can that you have been notified you are going to be relocated in writing since you have not signed the lease just wait and see if he will try to bind you to the balance of the term of the verbal lease.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/23/2013
Goldstein and Peck. P.C.
Goldstein and Peck. P.C. | William J. Kupinse, Jr
The question is not a general legal question, but is specific to the details which have been provided, and further details will likely be required for a comprehensive answer. As such, an attorney should be consulted on your specific legal needs.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 12/26/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    You don't have a signed contract, so you are basically renting month to month. Give 30 days notice and leave.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 12/23/2013
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    Since there is no signed written agreement, the terms of the verbal agreement would govern. You can give 30 days notice and vacate. Additionally, you could probably skip paying the last month's rent since you already paid a one month's deposit, assuming that you leave the property in good condition.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 12/23/2013
    MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
    The verbal agreement is controlling, You are going to have proof problems. Give the 30 days notice. Withhold the last months rent. Next time make sure everything is in writing.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 12/23/2013
Click to View More Answers: