Would the US government allow us to travel and for my fiance to give birth in the US? 4 Answers as of September 05, 2014

We are both Philippine Nationals who are holders of tourist visas and we are planning to have our child to be born in the US. What are the rules on this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
You cannot just plan to have your child be born in the US. Most likely, if the mother is in the advanced stages of pregnancy, she will not be permitted to travel. And even if she is allowed to board the plane, she may not be permitted to enter the US if the only reason for coming to the US is to give birth.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/5/2014
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
First of all, there is no law that directly addresses this situation. For years, people have come from the Philippines, Russia and elsewhere to give birth here. In the past few months, however, I have heard of several instances at the Houston airport where the immigration officer refused admission to pregnant women with a B-2 visa. So, I'd definitely suggest avoiding Houston. Whether this is happening elsewhere , I don't know. if your wife is not "showing," then they'd probably let her in, but there's never any guarantee.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 9/5/2014
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
You would likely be denied admission if your wife is visibly pregnant. A tourist visa is not designed to be used to enter the United States to give birth to a child here. In addition, you could face issues obtaining new visas or with future admission if you do not fully pay for the costs of the birth.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/5/2014
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
You might be stopped at the border and turned back if you don't show that you have money to pay for your wife's birth.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/5/2014
Click to View More Answers: