Would this be considered as false advertisement? 3 Answers as of December 10, 2013

So I went to Walmart and was looking at the Straight Talk Bring Your Own Phone activation kit. The package says it is nonrefundable and the Walmart employee verified this along with Straight Talk customer service. I went to their website before I purchased this activation kit because of the fact I can't get a refund for it, I entered my phone's IMEI number, The IMEI number is used by a GSM network to identify valid devices according to Wikipedia. When I entered the IMEI number into their website the next page said "Good news, your phone is compatible to use on Straight Talk. (Even thought your phone is compatible, a few phone models cannot be used with the BYOP program and will be identified at activation.)" Then customer service told me that my phone is not compatible and neither the customer service nor Walmart is willing to do anything about it. Can they really get away with telling me yes you can use your phone with Straight Talk! Then telling me after I buy the $60 phone plan that my phone is not compatible?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
I think not because the plan you purchased is not possible to be used for its intended use. the store should refund your money. Talk to the store manager. If the manager refuses to refund your money, take it up the corporate ladder. And also you can file a claim in small claims court. You can also file a claim with the Consumer Division of the Attorney General of your state.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 12/10/2013
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
Many big box stores no longer support the electronics they sell, leaving it all to the manufacturer and/or distributor. Concentrate your efforts on Straight Talk. If you haven't already, ask to talk to the customer service rep's supervisor. Often low level employees aren't given the authority to take care of matters like this. If, after repeated errorts, you can't get anywhere with this company, file a complaint with your state's Attorney General's office.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 12/6/2013
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
If the outcome is inconsistent with the representation, you may have a claim.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 12/6/2013
Click to View More Answers: