Would taking a portion (13%) and pay off a credit card and take a family vacation put the rest of the inheritance at risk? 2 Answers as of May 15, 2014

I live in the state of Missouri. I will be inheriting a nice size sum from my parents I would like to keep this separate property since my marriage has been rocky for the past couple of years. I will keep it in accounts only in my name and not add marital funds to it.

Edward L. Armstrong, P.C. | Edward L. Armstrong
Generally speaking, property that you inherit is considered "separatea" and not "marital." Keeping it in a separate account is a good idea and keeping any documentation from the probate court or from the trustee of a trust would also help in your particular situation.
Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
In Missouri, as long as you keep the funds in a separate account and not in an account in joint names with your spouse, this would not be taking a risk, even if you use the funds to pay joint debts and going on a family vacation.