Would obtaining a lawyer be beneficial to make sure I receive proper payments from a personal injury? 62 Answers as of May 31, 2013

I was in a car accident in which the other driver was ticketed and his insurance company is taking responsibility. I injured my sternoclavicular joint (collar bone and sternal joint). I have been to the doctor multiple times, and a physical therapist who then referred me to an orthopedist. the accident occurred months ago and I still the same pain as I did the day of the accident.

Touchstone Law Firm, LLC
Touchstone Law Firm, LLC | Dmitry David Balannik
Yes, it is beneficial. The lawyer will be able to properly assess your claim and recover the amount that you deserve.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC
Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC | Sam L. Levine
Given the nature & extent of your injuries, you should definitely retain an attorney and continue to get medical treatment as is reasonably necessary related to your car accident. There are just too many potential problems with not getting an attorney to help you in your injury case. Please be prepared to ask the prospective attorney a bunch of questions of how he/she works, what his/her policies are and how much they charge. I would advise meeting the attorney in person if at all possible. At the end of the day, you need to feel comfortable with your attorney. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
I represented a female client with this same injury and in the end the workers' compensation insurance company paid for a breast reduction because her sterno-clavicular joint injury would not heal. This can be a very debilitating injury. Your care and future care needs to be carefully evaluated for a proper measure of damages and that's beyond any normal layperson's abilities. I would agree you need to hire a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.
The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C. | Josh Lamborn
Many people are able to negotiate with insurance company adjusters on their own. Whether you need an attorney really depends on the facts of your individual case. The fact that the insurance company has accepted liability is good and eliminates one the functions that a lawyer can provide for you. The only question in your case (it sounds like) is how much money you should receive for your injury. It is also important to understand the time limitations in a personal injury case, as you will not be able to collect any money if you fail to settle your case or file a lawsuit within the statute of limitations. I usually advise my clients not to make a demand or file a lawsuit until they are medically stationary, otherwise it is impossible to tell whether you are dealing with a lifelong, permanent injury or something that will eventually heal. This can sometimes make a big difference in your recovery. Many personal injury attorneys will consult with you for free. You should consider meeting with one to obtain as much information as you can and then decide if you are comfortable handling your case on your own or not.
Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine
Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine | Richard Martin
In cases such as yours where personal injury results in future medical expenses and pain and suffering, we strongly advise you consult a personal injury attorney about what you are entitled to. We do not recommend settling without consulting an attorney.
    The Carlile Law Firm, LLP
    The Carlile Law Firm, LLP | D. Scott Carlile
    Yes, I would recommend hiring an attorney to represent you. Even though the insurance company has told you they are accepting liability, that does not mean they will offer you a fair settlement. Many times they accept the claim but then dispute the severity of the injuries or claim injuries were pre-existing.
    The Law Firm of Shawn M. Murray
    The Law Firm of Shawn M. Murray | Shawn M. Murray
    Hiring an attorney is always advisable when you have suffered a personal injury. An attorney will make sure that you receive all of the medical treatment you need and will hire the necessary medical and other experts, consequently maximizing the value of your claim. FYI - In Louisiana you only have one year from the date of your accident within which to file a lawsuit in order to protect your interests.
    Mitchell S. Sexner and Associates | Mitchell Sexner
    Yes. It would be beneficial to hire an attorney for this.
    The Law Offices of Paul A. Samakow, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Paul A. Samakow, P.C. | Paul A. Samakow
    You absolutely need an attorney to represent you. Insurance companies are not your friends. Every dollar they pay you for a claim is a minus in their profit analysis. They will NOT be fair or reasonable with you. Because an attorney can threaten a lawsuit, and go to court if necessary, they will be more reasonable with an attorney.
    No, absolute guarantees in this life, but usually a lawyer will get a better settlement than you can , even after his fee is deducted. In any kind of serious injury case the stakes are a little higher when the carrier knows a lawyer is looking over their shoulder. Little like penny poker. When there is a lawyer involved the carrier usually does not play penny poker. If you have a serious injury and it seems you do, don't be a a hurry. Find you a good PI lawyer and get the best medical care available and do not talk to anyone but your lawyer and your doctor. Carriers will do their damnedest to get you to say something on the phone that will compromise your case. Don't let that happen.
    Joel H. Schwartz, P.C.
    Joel H. Schwartz, P.C. | Steven A. Schwartz
    I strongly advise you contact an experienced personal injury attorney. A lawyer should be able to answer any questions you have and explain to you what your rights are and what you may be entitled to under the law. They can coordinate your medical care and make sure all your bills are paid, and handle all paperwork and phone calls. They can make sure you do not give information to the insurance company that you don't have to. I have been practicing for over 20 years, and in my experience insurance companies typically take advantage of those who are not represented. In fact, the adjusters are often very friendly and go out of their way to tell you that you don't need an attorney. That should tell you something. Insurance companies are like any other business - they are in it to make money - not pay out claims if they don't have to. A consultation with a lawyer is free, so you have nothing to lose.
    Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry
    Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry | Ronald Arthur Lowry
    Statistics show that persons injured in auto collisions who have a claim against the party that caused their injuries recover substantially more if they have a lawyer even when taking the attorney's fees into account. You need to hire the best personal injury attorney in your local jurisdiction ASAP.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    Generally speaking you would be better off having an attorney represent you in all matters regarding your auto accident and injuries. There are always issues that need to be dealt with regarding insurance and maximizing benefits.
    C Meryl Murphy, Attorney-at-Law, LLC
    C Meryl Murphy, Attorney-at-Law, LLC | Candace M Murphy
    First and foremost, you should continuing treating for your injuries. The sooner you are pain free, the better off you will be. Additionally, aggressively treating your injuries may enable you to possibly minimize your damages. Next, you should contact an attorney regarding possible claims, if any, that you may have against the insured and his insurance company. Consulting with an attorney will enable you to have your case fully evaluated. The attorney will be able to ask you such questions as: what type of citation did the driver receive? What was the result of the citation? Did the insured fight it? or, did he pay it? Was alcohol or drugs involved? These questions are just a sample of what the attorney will ask you. After, the attorney can establish the facts and a possible scenario for the accident, assess liability, and assist in the calculation of damages. Please keep in mind that unless you have significant experience in handling personal injury claims, it may be better to defer to an attorney because insurance companies may assess your damages as less than they may be actually worth.
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm | Francis Hajek
    Yes, a personal injury lawyer could help you in your car accident case and prove to be beneficial. Statistics show that a personal injury lawyer usually obtains a far greater recovery from an insurance company than an individual acting on their own. In addition, there are many pitfalls to proceeding without the benefit of an experienced personal injury lawyer. The attorney will make sure that all claims from health care providers are taken care of as part of the settlement. The injury lawyer also accounts for all sources of recovery including medical payments coverage.
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    Yes, you should retain a plaintiff's personal injury lawyer for sound legal advice and assistance in order to obtain complete and adequate compensation for your injuries and medical expenses.
    Absolutely. An experienced lawyer has the know-how to maximize your claim. There are many factors to consider, explaining them all would be too involved for this format. Examples include: loss of income, impact on lifestyle, obtaining and interpretation of medical records, evidenciary factors, application of Insurance Law 5102, typical jury verdicts in your area, transactional costs and negotiating style of the insurance company involved.
    Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers
    Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers | Andrew D. Myers
    Last year someone who had sustained a fracture in a car accident came to me after they had unsuccessfully attempted to settle their own case. I settled the case several months later for four (4) times more than they had demanded. When we reach out for help there is usually a reason. The furnace is making noises and the average person is not going to attempt to fix it. The car isn't working and it needs a trip to the shop. Those jobs require expertise. In the context of legal matters, the untrained eye sees a pile of paper with words on it. However, just because it is not so obvious, there are many reasons why a personal injury claim requires expertise from an experienced personal injury attorney. Here are a few: (1) The insurance industry's own statistics confirm that once an attorney is brought in to a claim, the value goes up. (2) Your own attorney has a duty to fully inform you of all potential elements of recovery which the insurance company claims adjuster will not take time to tell you about. (3) Settlements are forever. This means that if you decide to accept a settlement, this is the final disposition of the case forever. Should you later need additional treatment or discover an outstanding charge you did not know about, it is too late to go back. (4) Insurance companies evaluate claims with various computer programs. The same injury presented in 2 different ways is going to yield 2 different results. Why wouldn't you retain an attorney experienced in this area? My office handles personal injury and accident cases in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. And despite the procedural and legal differences between our states, the insurance standards and case valuation aspects of this topic are relatively universal across the U.S.
    Kirshner & Groff
    Kirshner & Groff | Richard M. Kirshner
    The Law Firm of Reed & Mansfield
    The Law Firm of Reed & Mansfield | Jonathan C. Reed
    Yes. When the insurance company for the person at fault says they "are taking responsibility" it only means that they will make you some kind of probably low offer. You find that this "cooperative" insurance company is very interested in gathering all of the information it can about you and your injury. Do not mistake this interest in information gathering with an interest in giving you a fair settlement. Once they have gathered all of this information, including possibly statement you make to them that hurt your case, we may find a brass knuckle approach to negotiating. If you were in a Nevada car accident and the police cited the other driver and not you, my firm of Reed & Mansfield offers a 25% contingency fee (the fee comes out of the settlement or collected judgment, you don't pay us until you recover) so it doesn't cost a lot of have an experienced attorney go to bat for you against the insurance company.
    Wooten, Kimbrough & Normand, P.A.
    Wooten, Kimbrough & Normand, P.A. | Council Wooten
    The value of an injury case depends on many factors. A well trained trial lawyer with actual trial experience can be of great help to you.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O. | Eric R. Chandler
    Insurance companies are notorious for low-balling settlement offers and sometimes even refusing to cover all of your bills. Beyond that there are other benefits to having an injury attorney such as medical bill negotiation and making sure you don't miss any hoops you need to jump through.
    Durflinger Oliver & Associates
    Durflinger Oliver & Associates | James Edmund Oliver
    Insurance companies spend a lot of money avoiding paying people who were injured. They hire and train people whose sole purpose is to help the insurance company avoid paying money to people like yourself. I used to help insurance companies avoid paying out money in damages, so I know the games they play. Don't try to go against them without help.
    The Torkzadeh Law Firm
    The Torkzadeh Law Firm | Reza Torkzadeh
    Short answer is absolutely. Insurance companies have hundreds of lawyers working for them. While an insurance adjuster may seem like they are on your side, their job is to settle your case as quickly as possible for as little as possible. You cannot effectively represent yourself against an insurance company whose main job is to turn a profit. I suggest immediately speaking with an experienced attorney who can properly evaluate your case and help you navigate through the claims process.
    Susan M. Hankins, P.C. | Susan M. Hankins
    Thank you for the opportunity to answer your very good question. Consult an Attorney early in the process is always my advice. In any motor vehicle accident case, their experience and expertise of Attorneys help you achieve two primary objectives: (1) to maximize the recovery of compensatory damages against the at-fault driver by understanding Georgia law governing automobile liability insurance and uninsured motorist insurance, and (2) to investigate thoroughly and pursue additional meritorious claims against other potential defendants such as the owner of the at-fault vehicle, the employer of the negligent driver, the business which sold alcohol to an underaged driver or noticeably intoxicated motorist, any entity responsible for negligent road construction or hazardous road conditions, and/or the manufacturer of a defective tire or uncrashworthy car, van or truck. In a personal injury case, the plaintiff can recover compensatory damages which include both special and general damages. Special damages include any harm which can be quantified as an actual monetary loss such as the following: lost wages / loss of earnings or income medical, doctor and hospital expenses expenses of physical therapy, counseling, or rehabilitation services the cost of travel to obtain medical care charges for the purchase of needed medical products or supplies, prosthetic devices, wheelchairs, etc. the costs to hire someone to perform housekeeping, yard work, cooking, childcare or other things the plaintiff cannot do because of their injuries. In addition, General damages encompass all other forms of harm or injury which are not capable of precise monetary quantification. In other words, there is no price tag which can be put on certain aspects of the detrimental consequences attributable to the accident and resulting injuries suffered by the plaintiff. Because general damages are subjective, the amount of money to be awarded is determined by the enlightened conscience of impartial jurors. Examples of general damages would include: physical pain and suffering mental and emotional pain and suffering the shock, fear, distress and anxiety of being involved in a crash physical or cognitive disabilities caused by permanent injuries scarring, disfigurement or physical deformity loss of capacity to earn a living loss of consortium As you can see, consulting an expert in personal injury law is usually the way to maximize your recovery for the injuries you suffered. Insurance companyies may lead you to think that they are on your side but they are not. Their goal is to decrease your recovery thereby limiting the loss to their company. Most personal injury attorneys will be happy to consult with you at no charge. In addition, some cases qualify for contingent fees based on a recovery. You do not pay unless and until you recover. Given that your case happened months ago and you are still in pain, I would advise against settlement right away until you have exhausted your medical treatment options. Perhaps you should obtain a second opinion from a Doctor as well in order to see what your treatment options are. That said, there is a time limit to pursue an action against the Driver. You should consult an attorney as soon as possible.
    Law Offices of Bodey & Bodey, PLLC
    Law Offices of Bodey & Bodey, PLLC | Michael Bodey
    I believe it would be in your best interest to hire an attorney, not only for proper payments, but to protect other rights you may have associated with this personal injury. Just because the police cited/ticketed the other driver (which is generally inadmissible in a court of law meaning that jury will never see this) and "currently" the other insurance company is taking responsibility, tomorrow is always another day. Tomorrow things may change. I have seen, time and time again, where insurance companies appear to be taking responsibility to day and then go back on their word tomorrow. Just food for thought.
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC | Andrew F. Garruto
    Yes, there are many reasons I recommend that people retain a lawyer so that you can be advised of all of your rights against the offending driver, and against your own insurance company [I'll bet a kidney your own insurance company will cut you off from medical treatment if your injuries require treatment for another two months or so]. Also, a personal injury lawyer would know the reputation of the doctors that you are seeing - have they been sued for malpractice 10 times and still performing operations? There are many things/bits of evidence that need to be preserved before they're destroyed or erased, if they're not already gone. I would call someone sooner rather than later.
    Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
    Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
    You will probably be throwing away a large part of a recovery for your injuries if you do not get a competent attorney.
    Law Offices of Michael Stephenson
    Law Offices of Michael Stephenson | Michael Stephenson
    Absolutely! If you are still suffering pain resulting from the accident, DO NOT sign anything until consulting in detail with an attorney. It is the insurance office's job to pay you as little as possible and try to get you to sign a settlement before the full extent of your injuries and necessary medical treatment can be ascertained. It may turn out that your medical bills may keep on going up and up, but if you sign the settlement papers, the insurance company will never have to pay you another penny. An attorney can help you force the insurance company to pay you as much as possible.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You would truly benefit from an experienced attorney. He will maximize the value of your recovery. He will make sure you have adequate medical treatment and proper reports and ratings from your doctor. He will know how best to deal with the insurance comp and know the proper demand. Most significantly he carries the ability to sue if the insurance company does not offer a proper settlement and also how to recover if the insurance is insufficient.
    Law Office of David Baum
    Law Office of David Baum | David M. Baum
    Yes, retain an attorney to help you get the settlement payment you are entitled to receive for your injuries.
    Attorney Paul Lancia
    Attorney Paul Lancia | Paul Lancia
    You may have a case against the driver as well as first party insurance benefits with your own insurer.
    Eftekhari Law Offices
    Eftekhari Law Offices | Ehsan Eftekhari
    Yes. Don't do it alone.
    In order to sue for being injured in an car accident you have to sustain a "serious injury" which includes death, dismemberment, a broken bone, loss of a fetus, significant disfigurement and certain other specific kinds of lesser injuries including being disabled for at least ninety of the first one hundred and eighty days following the accident. If you think that you may have a serious injury, the you should definitely consult with a personal injury attorney.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
    You really need an attorney to help you obtain the proper amount of compensation for all your injuries. A good law firm can guide you through the process and keep the insurance company honest.
    Shaw Law Firm
    Shaw Law Firm | Steven L. Shaw
    Yes. And go find a doctor that can help you. Consider seeing a physiatrist (sports medicine/rehabilitation doctor), or a good chiropractor.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    Because the insurance adjuster is experienced and you are not, you should get an attorney unless you think the injury will not be permanent.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
    Michigan has the toughest No-Fault law in the country and no insurance company will just hand you money without proving that you have sustained a serious impairment of a body function that affects your ability to conduct the activities of daily living. Contact a lawyer who specializes in personal injury in order to seek compensation for the new job that you have that you did not apply for being a victim of someone else's negligence.
    AyerHoffman, LLP
    AyerHoffman, LLP | David C. Ayer
    Under no circumstances should you proceed alone against the insurer. There are many elements to the damages you may suffer down the road which must be taken into consideration if you are to receive just compensation for your injuries. Insurers know this and will attempt to get you to settle quickly for short money. You should retain a personal injury attorney immediately and cease all communication with the insurer. You may have to pay a portion of your award to the attorney, but what you walk away with will still likely be much greater than the settlement you will negotiate on your own.
    Craig Kelley & Faultless
    Craig Kelley & Faultless | David W. Craig
    Yes. You should consult with an injury attorney about your claim. The insurance company has professionals helping them protect its insured and you deserve to have someone looking out for your interest. Just because the insurance company has said that it is taking responsibility does not mean it will deal with you fairly. Don't wait. It is important to get to a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Most lawyers will meet with you for free and answer your questions. You have no obligation to hire them but at least by meeting one you will know what things you should be concerned about.
    The Lucky Law Firm, PLC
    The Lucky Law Firm, PLC | Robert Morrison Lucky
    Yes, considering the severity of your injuries, you definitely want to have attorney to help guide you through the process. I'm sure that you are not only being inconvenienced by all of this, but you are also in serious pain. You want to make sure that the insurance company does not want to try to use your unfamiliarity with the process against you. Research shows that you are likely to receive 3 times more with an attorney than without. Additionally, you need to hire an attorney who is familiar with the process and knows what he is doing with these types of case.
    The Law Offices of Jason Chan
    The Law Offices of Jason Chan | Jason Chan
    Yes, you should contact a lawyer and the lawyer will be able to help you recover for your injuries.
    Wooten, Kimbrough & Normand, P.A.
    Wooten, Kimbrough & Normand, P.A. | Orman Kimbrough, Esq.
    It would be in your best interest to contact a personal injury attorney who can review the particular fact of your case and then provide advice to you on the best course of action. Once you have spoken to an attorney you then can make an informed decision on which way you want to proceed
    Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
    Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
    You will generally net a much greater recovery for yourself, even after fees are deducted from the settlement, if you hire an attorney. They want to maximize your recovery and can assess the value of your case. The insurance company wants to minimize the value.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    The issue is whether it is financial advantageous to you - i.e. if a lawyer takes 1/3 of the recovery then you have to get more than 1/3 more in order to make it financially worth while. However, if there are medical liens (i.e. unpaid medical bills) or if medicare or an insurer paid any medical bills, those payments have to be worked out from the settlement - something a lawyer would know how to do (and may save you money doing so). So on balance I absolutely suggest you at least consult with a personal injury lawyer in your area about your case.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    I believe that insurance companies try to take advantage of people who do not have lawyers. Also, how would you know if the insurance company makes you a fair offer? Finally, New York State has special rules that apply to auto accident cases. You must show you suffered "serious injury" as that term if defined in the Insurance Law.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    If your pain level has not improved since the accident, you should contact an attorney to maximize your financial recovery.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
    The simple answer for you is "yes." Statistically, personal injury attorneys usually end up getting settlements that are 3-4x more than injured parties obtain on their own - even after taking into account the contingent fee. A qualified and experienced injury attorney is able to properly document your claim to the insurance company - and then fairly evaluate the claim; to ensure you are getting the best settlement possible.
    Pivotal Law Group, PLLC
    Pivotal Law Group, PLLC | Christopher L. Thayer
    You should definitely consult with an experienced personal injury attorney in your area. Most personal attorneys (like myself) offer a free initial consultation. You need to understand that the insurance company will be looking to pay you as little as possible. Retaining an attorney early in the process helps ensure that your rights are protected and that you are treated fairly.
    I would be very surprised if an attorney didn't get you more money than you could have gotten by yourself, even after the attorney withheld his contingent fee. Insurance companies don't like paying out money, and even settle cases based upon the reputation of a lawyer. If your lawyer is not board certified (which simply means he or she has tried a lot of cases) then chances are unless the adjuster knows your attorney to be one who tries a lot of cases, then their offer is going to be much lower if you represent yourself, the offer will be practically nonexistent.
    Mossing & Navarre, LLC
    Mossing & Navarre, LLC | Jim Navarre
    Yes. The insurance company will never pay you the compensation you deserve unless you have an attorney arguing on your behalf.
    Langer & Langer
    Langer & Langer | Jon Schmoll
    Insurance adjustors are working for the insurance company. They don't work for you. They want to settle your claim for as little money as possible. An attorney represents your interests and uses his/her skills and experience to see that you receive reasonable compensation for your injuries
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney