Would a judge allow the settlement to include me having to pay for a loan my spouse took out during separation? 1 Answers as of April 25, 2011

I am going through a divorce. While married my ex took out a loan for home repairs. She plans on requesting that I pay the entire loan off now that she has moved out. I don't know how much the loan was, nor how much is left. Would a judge allow the settlement to include me having to pay for this loan?

Keri Burnstein, P.C.
Keri Burnstein, P.C. | Keri Burnstein
The way you phrase the question is interesting.general speaking, a judge will "allow" almost anything if the parties agree. However, I think the better question would be, will a judge order you to pay? This is not an easy answer. You need to contact a family law attorney to give and get more information. The short answer is maybe yes and maybe no. Everything in a divorce is negotiable.