Would it be wise to add my name on the house or me putting my name on the house affect me filing for bankruptcy? 7 Answers as of July 07, 2017

I am in the process of looking to file for bankruptcy but at the same time, my friend and I would like to buy a house. I would become partial owner.

Generally, having your name on your residence won't affect filing bankruptcy. Ohio has a $132,000 exemption for equity in your home, so unless you're really putting a lot down, any equity would be exempt.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
Home ownership can be costly. I would question whether you should be purchasing a house if you need to file bankruptcy. Please go see a knowledgeable local bankruptcy attorney who can get all the facts and advise you.
Garner Law Office
Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
Not a good idea to do it before you file for bankruptcy.
Well then, I guess it would sort of depend on whether you can get the credit necessary to finance the purchase of the house. If you are paying cash for it in order to avoid paying your debts, you need to proceed with extreme caution.
It would be a bad idea unless there was no equity in the property.
    So I'm wondering how you would buy a house if your finances were is such bad shape? I'd check with local counsel first. Someone needs to look at the numbers to answer this question.
    I think it would be alright, although there is not enough information to make that assessment. You would be wise to meet with a lawyer face to face to get your questions answered.