Would it be probable cause? 8 Answers as of June 01, 2011

My question is if police officers receive a anonymous phone call that there is selling/distributing of weapons in the neighborhood would it be probable cause for a police officer to randomly search any vehicle within the neighborhood without a warrant? Is it still safe or not under the fourth amendment?

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
No. There needs to be information about a specific vehicle. And an anonymous tip needs to be corroborated by other evidence. For more info or a fee quote call.
No. Random searches would be grounds for an evidence suppression motion if you were arrested, If so, feel free to contact me for your legal defense.
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
The police cannot " randomly search any vehicle in the neighborhood" based on an anonymous tip. However, police can conduct surveillance to check out the tip and search any persons or vehicles connected with a specific house in that neighborhood. Also, the Fourth Amendment has several loop-holes, including probation/parole search clauses for anyone living or staying at the house and the consent of the person or vehicle owner for the search. If you would like to discuss your right in more detail, please call my office.
I don't think so. You need to consult with an attorney.
NO. Anonymous tips can be used by the police to detain persons on occasion but in the wholesale manner you describe.
    Absolutely not. No way. Not even close. Fight your case. File a suppression motion pursuant to Penal Code section 1538.5. File a Writ if and when you lose. Look closely at the Penal Code section that applies. Do not count on the District Attorney or the Judge to obey the law.
    The good news: The 4th Amendment is alive and well. The bad news: The cop will lie and say you consented to the search and the Judge will believe him. Sorry but that is how this corrupt system works.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Ordinarily, they need more than just a purely anonymous tip to search a particular person or place, but to just search "any" vehicle? Sounds way too far of a stretch. If this was you and the search led to evidence being located and charges filed, your attorney should be looking into a motion to suppress the evidence based on an illegal search.