Would it be better off to file here where I live or let her serve me from where she is? 6 Answers as of November 07, 2016

Wife is in another state. Neither of us are asking for support from the other.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
File in your home state, always a better choice.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/7/2016
The Gufford Law Firm, P.A.
The Gufford Law Firm, P.A. | Joseph Gufford
Clearly it appears that you are both living in different states. Thus, assuming each of you meet the residency requirements of the state that you are living in, either state could have jurisdiction to dissolve the bonds of marriage. However, that being said there is a concept of divisible divorce where while a state may have jurisdiction to dissolve the marriage, it may not have jurisdiction to deal with the other aspects of divorce (alimony, child custody and support issues, equitable distribution of assets and debts). If any of those issues are present (I know you said neither side is seeking support from the other), then an analysis needs to be done on the state that has jurisdiction to determine those issues. Consult with an experienced family law attorney to determine the best course of action given your circumstances.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/3/2016
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
Cannot speculate as to reply. Each state sets their own divorce law. I could only reply as to Florida, not any other state.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/3/2016
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Tough to answer without more information. May depend upon jurisdictional issues, i.e., the ability of the Court to resolve property issues including support. If one jurisdiction has no connection to the other party, it may limit the divorce to just dissolving the marriage and leave those issues open.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/3/2016
R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
Venue is proper where you last resided together as husband and wife. If it is an uncontested divorce, it can be filed in either place.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/3/2016
    Ronald L. Bornstein, P.A. | Ronald L. Bornstein
    The answer to your question may depend upon whether you have any minor children together, own real estate together, or own any other property together. If you have no minor children together, do not own any real or personal property together, and neither of you is seeking alimony or spousal support from the other, then generally, it may not make a difference in which jurisdiction you file, however, different States have different residency requirements, appearance requirements, uncontested divorce requirements, etc., so you should consult with an attorney in both jurisdictions to discuss the specifics of your situation and your options.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 11/2/2016
Click to View More Answers: