Would I still owe child support if I sign my rights away? 26 Answers as of May 22, 2013

I owe $8,500.00 in child support. My mother has had my child for 4 years because I cannot provide for him.

Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
You cannot surrender your rights to avoid paying.
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook | Cathy R. Cook
You cannot sign your rights away unless someone else adopts your child and takes full financial responsibility.
Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
You will not be able to escape your responsibility to your child by signing your rights away unless your mother is willing to adopt the child. Without an adoption, you cannot just sign your rights away.
Who are you supposed to be paying child support to? You'r Mother, and who is owned the arrearage you'r Mother, the State, or you'r ex.This makes no sense. The short answer is NO. Unless there is someone ready to adopt. If parents who owned child support could get rid of it by simply signing their rights away everyone who owned would do it, it be a score for them. The only option I see here is to get the party you owe to agree to waive the arrearage, and then enter an order with the court, but the court still must approve the waiver, but at least it's a shot.
    The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
    The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
    Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
    Depending on the facts and circumstances of your situation, that is a possibility.
    Your child support going forward would stop but the money you owe now would still be owed unless the Mother wants to waive it.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    In Alabama, signing your rights away does not eliminate your responsibilty to pay child support.
    Attorney At Law | Harry D. Roth
    You still owe the unpaid amounts that have accumulated. As an alternative to just walking away, you may wish to ask the court to reduce your child support to an amount you can afford. If you have no income at all, then the amount you can afford may be zero.
    Barbara Fontaine, Esquire | Barbara Fontaine
    I would think you still owe arrears. The only thing is, you do not keep owing current child support. (You cannot "sell" your child for $8500.00)
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC | Anthony Overton Van Johnson
    The short answer to your question is, yes. You can't give up your parental rights to avoid paying child support. You indicate that your mother has had your child for four (4) years. Thus, I am assuming that you are required to pay child support to your mother. You made no mention of the child's mother. You should consult with an attorney to discuss a possible modification of your child support payments. Also, you may be entitled to obtain custody of your child, depending on your circumstances.
    Lombardi Law LLC
    Lombardi Law LLC | SUZANNE LOMBARDI
    In Alaska a parent cannot voluntarily give up child support because the payments have not been made or can't be made. You may try to ask for more visitation if it is possible so that your child support payments could possibly be reversed. An attorney can help you with this motion.
    Answer Applies to: Alaska
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    You would still owe the past due amount, but would not be liable for future child support, if the child is adopted.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    You cannot unilaterally "sign away" your parental rights and responsibilities. Unless and until the child is legally adopted by someone else, you will be financially obligated.
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    You would owe up to the date that your rights are terminated.
    Mike Yeksavich | Mike Yeksavich
    You will owe past due child support.
    No you woudn't but in Washington you can't "sign your rights away" unless someone takes over your responsibilities to support your child by adopting him/her.
    You would still owe the back support but not future support. Mother can forgive the arrears but signing away rights does not get you out of the past due arrears.
    You would still owed what already is owed, but you cannot just give up your child like you would a car. There has to be someone else willing to step in and take your place financially.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    Terminating your parental rights does not erase past child support arrears.
    Law Office of Lynda H. LeBlanc
    Law Office of Lynda H. LeBlanc | Lynda Leblanc
    You cannot sign your rights away. The state can terminate parental rights through a CHINS case or through an adoption. So unless, your mom is adopting the child, you cannot sign away your rights. You should however petition to modify child support so that it is paid to your mom instead of your ex. Talk to a local attorney.