Would I have to leave the country once my fiance applied for I-130? 8 Answers as of December 10, 2013

I came to the US when I was 11 with a B2 visa and overstayed. I'm now 26. I applied for deferred action for childhood arrival and was approved. My fiance is a permanent resident. Can he apply for the I-130? Would I have to leave the country? My deferred action for childhood arrival expires in 2015 and I can reapply.

You would not have to leave the country to legalize your status.
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
You do not have to leave US after your LPR husband files your husband I-130 petition. However since you are out of status, you will be able to adjust only if your husband becomes a US citizen. So, it is suggested that your husband should apply for naturalization as soon as possible,. When he becomes a US citizen, then, you can apply to adjust status.
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
Your fiance can file an immigrant petition for you, but he would also have to ask for a special waiver; if the government grants the waiver, you would have to go to your country for only a few weeks, to go through a consular interview. You might also wait with filing papers until your fiance becomes a citizen (no need to postpone the marriage, only filing of the papers). Because you originally came to the U.S. legally, with a visa, if you become a wife of a U.S. citizen, you would not have to go to your country before getting a green card.
Your fiance may file an immigration visa petition for you, but you will not be able to seek adjustment of status in the U.S. unless your fiance becomes a U.S. citizen. Otherwise, you would need to depart the country to become a permanent resident. You would be best advised to discuss the matter further with an attorney as leaving the country entails certain risks.
Nachman Phulwani Zimovcak (NPZ) Law Group, P.C. | David Nachman
If you wait for your fiance to become a Citizen then you could apply for Adjustment and you should be able to get the green card in the U.S. Alternatively, if you obtain a travel document and leave the U.S. and then return as a parolee, you may be able to adjust using the F-2A classification if you get married and your fiance files for you as the spouse of a green card holder (and this classification was moving fairly rapidly we believe the wait time now is a few months). In general, and as there may be nuances with regard to your particular situation, we recommend that you consult with a qualified immigration counselor about your situation.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    You would have to leave unless your finance becomes a US citizen. You only need a lawful entry if you apply through a US citizen spouse.
    Kapoor Law Firm, PLLC
    Kapoor Law Firm, PLLC | Shiv K. Kapoor
    Your fiance can't submit the I-130 for you until you are married. After that, it can be filed and you won't have to leave the country at that point. Once a visa is available, you would have to leave the country to get the visa since you are an overstay. However, you would face a bar to reentry, unless you get a waiver. Since you have DACA, a better option may be to wait until your husband becomes a US citizen. Since you entered the US legally, you would be able to adjust status without leaving the US.
    You can stay as long as you keep getting the renewal of the deferred action.