Would I have to go to jail for getting an OWI? 5 Answers as of September 08, 2015

I was pulled over and was arrested for an OWI, operating while intoxicated, and I blew a .21. My court date is October 4th. I understand the stricter enforcements involved, but am I looking at jail time here? This is my first offense and I'm a single mother and a full time nursing student. Has judges been convicted under this new law with jail sentences? My court papers say city versus me, if that means anything.

.21... that's almost 3x the legal limit. With this high of a breath test reading you are looking at a mandatory minimum of 2 days in jail. This means that a judge cannot waive this jail time. The judge could also sentence you to more (based upon the facts of your case) as a conviction can carry a jail sentence of up to a year in jail and a $5,000.00 fine. With that high of a breath test, you are going to be required to have an alcohol/drug evaluation and follow any recommended treatment. With that high of a reading... sounds like a possible alcohol substance issue. My advice... hire an attorney as there are additional penalties over and above jail time.
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
Please get an attorney asap. Over .16 is a gross misdemeanor punishable by a max of 1 year in jail and/or a $3000 fine in MN. With proper representation everything will be manageable.
You need to hire a DUI specialist, and do it soon because you have only 10 days to save your license.
Chambers Law Firm
Chambers Law Firm | Dan E. Chambers
You will not get jail time based on the facts that you have provided.
At almost three times the legal limit, I suspect that you will be doing jail time.