Would I have to file for divorce before leaving the state with my kids? 2 Answers as of July 05, 2011

If my husband and I separate, can I move my kid's out of state and would I have to file for divorce first? I have been a stay at home mom for 10 year's and want to go back to school but I have no family here to help me.

You should discuss that here with a lawyer before you leave. Leaving may, depending on the facts of the case, affect custody, and it may also affect where the case is heard. You likely can go. When and if you should, and when and where you file, is a game plan you want figured out before the move.
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
You do not have to file for divorce before leaving the state, and in fact after consultation with an attorney about the specifics of your case, you may decide to leave before you file, as once a person files for the divorce, there is usually a Standing Order automatically issued that prohibits the children from moving out of state.