Would I have a legal right to sue the United States Postal Service? 8 Answers as of April 01, 2013

On March 23, I sent a certified letter to the IRS via United States Postal Service. I was given a guarantee date and time of delivery of March 25 at 3pm. The package was not received until today, March 26 at 11am. It was a very important letter regarding an amendment for taxes.

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
You can enforce the guaranty.
Robert Kubler | Robert Kubler
Postal Service has a complicated claim procedure to sue them. You can submit a claim for your damages. Otherwise the postal office may reimburse you the cost of the postage.
No. As a branch of the US government, they are immune from suit, with a couple of very narrow exceptions. Your case is not one of the exceptions.
Moore Law Firm
Moore Law Firm | Frederick J. Moore III
No. Unfortunately if you read the fine print there are always exceptions to delivery times and there is actually no absolute "guarantee" on delivery, even when they say that it is guaranteed by tomorrow. I would contact the IRS and see if they received the form and explain your situation.
Are you on medication? You write in Feb about something that is going to happen in March. Do you know how to read a calendar.
    If you were in fact given a guarantee, you won't have to sue them. Take a look at the language of the guarantee and it will probably have information in there as to how to put in a claim to get your money back.
    I would need to read the contract, if any, that is signed when you send this type mail. If there is no language limiting liability for late delivery, then yes you can sue. You should check to see what the consequences of late delivery is. For example, your tax return is filed when it postmarked, not when it is delivered.
    Probably not. Was weather a problem? There has been a lot of snow in the Midwest and that may have delayed the shipment. Why didn't you fax the document to the IRS? Why didn't you file earlier? It is unlikely that a court will find the USPS responsible for any penalty you may have because the letter was delivered late.