Would I be able to sue again for having a scar on my leg? 34 Answers as of May 22, 2013

I was attacked by a pit pull almost 2 years ago. I got a settlement because she had insurance for her dog. So I agreed on taking that. I was just wondering would I be able to sue again for having this scar on my leg.

Lapin Law Offices
Lapin Law Offices | Jeffrey Lapin
You likely cannot sue or receive any more money from the attack by the pit bull. Presumably when you settled you were required to sign a Release or Settlement Agreement. Most Releases and Settlement Agreements contain language that releases all responsible persons and companies from any and all additional liability and claims stemming from an incident. If you did not sign a Release or a similar document or, although this is very rare, the Release did not fully release the at-fault person then you could collect or sue for more money. I would suggest re-reading any documents you signed regarding the settlement. If you have questions about what the documents say you might want to consult with an attorney who could help explain them to you.
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
You already settled them matter and you cannot go back again for the same injury.
Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
If at the time of the settlement you signed a release, you cannot bring another claim.
The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
Once a case is settled you may not go back for more money. There would be no reason for the defendant to settle a case if there was any thought that a claimant could come at them again. Once you received your money the case ended.
Law Office of Melvin Franke | Melvin Franke
No.
    LAW OFFICE OF ROBERT T. DURBROW, JR. | Robert T. Durbrow, Jr.
    No. I assume you signed a release of all claims when you received your settlement. That release of all claims eliminated any right you may have had to obtaim further money from the dog's owner.
    The Lucky Law Firm, PLC
    The Lucky Law Firm, PLC | Robert Morrison Lucky
    It is highly unlikely that you can sue her again since you reached a settlement. More than likely when you settled with her insurance company, you executed a release of the insurance company, the owner, and any one else that may have been held responsible. You may wish to contact your prior attorney to get a copy of the release you signed.
    If you accepted a settlement than that is an "accord and satisfaction" and it closes the matter and you cannot sue again.
    Gebler & Weiss, P.C. | Jerrie S. Weiss
    Usually once you have settled you can't sue later for further complications. It depends on what you signed, but usually they will have you sign a release stating that you are aware that you can never sue again for this incident.
    Timiney Law Firm
    Timiney Law Firm | Leigh Anne Timiney
    No, you are not able to sue again. Once you accept a settlement, you sign a release which releases the insurance company and the owner of the dog from any future liability to you in regard to this incident. The release prevents you from coming back at a later time and seeking additional funds. So once you accept a settlement, your case is closed for good.
    Mishkind Law Firm, Co., L.P.A.
    Mishkind Law Firm, Co., L.P.A. | Howard Mishkind
    No. Once you settle your case and sign a release the case is closed. Eventhough you have a scar on your leg the settlement covers all past,present and future injuries due to the incident.
    Tenge Law Firm, LLC
    Tenge Law Firm, LLC | J. Todd Tenge
    Generally, when you settle a claim with an insurance company they require you to sign a "release" in exchange for the payment. This usually prevents you from going back and asking for more money.
    Mosley, Engelman & Jones, LLP
    Mosley, Engelman & Jones, LLP | Britany M. Engelman
    Unfortunately not. You only get one bite at the apple so to speak. Any settlement you agreed to take would have included the scarring.
    So your question is can I sue twice for the same thing , after I settle the first time. The answer is No, unless the first settlement was silent as to future legal action which I don't it was.
    No, you settled the matter, hence, can not sue for the same matter.
    Frank Law Group, P.C.
    Frank Law Group, P.C. | Brett E. Rosenthal
    Unfortunately not, when you settled the initial claim you agreed to release any and all claims, whether you knew about them or not at the time of settlement. Would suggest you read the settlement agreement.
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    The settlement which you accepted and release you executed probably prevent you from filing another claim or suing again for the same injury.
    Joel H. Schwartz, P.C.
    Joel H. Schwartz, P.C. | Steven A. Schwartz
    You have one shot at a settlement. You accepted a settlement and I am pretty sure you signed a release that said no further claims in the future could be made.
    You are not allowed to keep getting settlements. It is one settlement and you are done. If you signed a release, the case is over.
    No, and here's why: a settlement is just that, a settlement. The case is settled. No more.
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    If you signed a release of liability and accepted a settlement payment from an insurance company, it is extremely unlikely you would be able to go back and get more money. Have an attorney review the release of liability or settlement agreement if you have any questions about it.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney