Would having a possible credit card judgment pending affect her chances of getting the reverse mortgage? 11 Answers as of February 07, 2014

My mother is thinking of getting a reverse mortgage. I am not on the deed to house.

Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
Its not supposed to, however, the company giving the mortgage may want some details on it.
You need to talk to a lender agent who specializes in reverse mortgages to answer your question as to whether an outstanding judgment will affect her loan application.
Reverse mortgage are generally a bad idea. Make sure she knows what she is doing. Yes, debt would have an effect.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
The credit worthiness of the applicant will always affect loan qualification. This does not mean the loan cannot be obtained. It may be that the lender will want funds withdrawn under the reverse mortgage to pay off the credit card judgment.
If the judgment has been reduced to an Abstract, it would then be a lien on the house and the debt would have to be paid out of the reverse mortgage proceeds.
    Sure, it could affect it. She needs to talk with the reverse mortgage people.
    I would suspect that your mother will be asked to pay off the credit card judgment as part of the conditions for the reverse mortgage. She should speak with an attorney.
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    Yes, it would almost certainly have an impact. Your mother really should see an estate planning attorney to determine how best to proceed.
    The Law Office of David L. Leon
    The Law Office of David L. Leon | David L. Leon
    In theory, it shouldn't, as judgment liens typically don't attach to homestead property. In practice, title companies are reluctant to issue title insurance (required for a reverse) if there are judgments. You might consider trying to settle the judgment lien prior to applying for the reverse.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    I don't know.
    It would likely make it impossible as the judgment lien would be a superior lien to the reverse mortgage and they would not allow that. It would have to be paid, if it doesn't cause the lender to deny the loan outright.