Would filing bankruptcy give me a break and time to seek a new life? 14 Answers as of May 09, 2017

I am 27 and lost my job in oil and gas last year 2016. I was making $22 an hour and had a good grip on all my debts at that time which amounts almost $18,000. Now, I work from home for $13 an hour and in very tough condition, have a kid and a wife to support. Loans are from credit card and private company. I cannot keep up with payments and have been behind payments for almost couple months now. I do not have strength to fight legal battles.

Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
Sorry to hear about the downturn. Bankruptcy is designed for just this type of situation. A Chapter 7 case should wipe out most, if not all, credit card obligations and other unsecured debt. And you can, in most instances, keep your house and cars. Contact a bankruptcy attorney near you for a free consult.
OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
Your situation is a perfect example of a good reason to file a bankruptcy.
That is the very purpose of bankruptcy: to give you a fresh start in your finances, and often in your emotional life as well. Your facts certainly suggest that bankruptcy would be a good idea. It's best to find a skilled lawyer to advise and represent you: it's almost always a good investment. Good Luck.
Yes... see local counsel and get relief.
Generally speaking the answer is that it would.
    Bankruptcy would eliminate those debts and give you a fresh start.
    Marc S. Stern
    Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
    Bankruptcy is an option. It ought to be the last option but it may be your only one. In past times consumer credit counseling could help with this type of situation but most of the classic ccc agencies are gone.
    Yes. Without more information, I can't tell you if it's a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13. It sounds like a Chapter 7, where most debts are discharged (recent tax liability is not dischargeable, nor are student loans or child support obligations). From the date of filing to the date of closing is approximately 4 months. I hope this helps.
    Unfortunately, you have not provided me with the type of details I need to say whether bankruptcy is an appropriate solution to your financial problems. How much debt and what kind of debts do you have? Are you covering the cost of your ongoing living expenses? Bankruptcy is not a one size fits all solution.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    Short answer is yes, long answer is yes, but call counsel in your state.
    From what you are saying, you would easily qualify for a Chapter 7 BK which would eliminate your debt. It only takes about 120 days start to finish.