Would the fact that I attended police academy hinder my ability to become a US citizen? 2 Answers as of March 03, 2011

Right after graduating from HS, I wanted to become a police officer, so I enrolled in police academy at my local community college. At that time I was undocumented, finally when the immigration amnesty of 87 passed, I was able to become a legal resident. I have not applied for citizenship, because I am afraid I may be deported. Would the fact that I attended police academy hinder my ability to become a US citizen?

The short answer is no. You are still under the benefit of the 1986 amnesty, including all matters related to the undocumentation other than: 1) an aggravated felony, as defined by the law of your state; 2) fraud; 3) Social Security or tax fraud. If you have a desire to discuss this further and have the services of an attorney, feel free to call or e-mail me.
It would only hinder your ability to become a U.S. citizen if you indicated in your application that you were already a U.S. citizen knowing that you were not.

I would be happy to consult with you on your case. I do charge for consultations but whatever is paid for the consultation would be a credit toward the fees for your case if you retain us for further work after the consult. The consultation can be scheduled as indicated below by contacting my secretary, Janet, by phone.