With good representation, could my husband become legal after a DWI conviction? 2 Answers as of April 07, 2011

My husband came in the US about 6 years ago. We have been married for almost two years and are expecting our first child together this August. He was recently convicted of driving under the influence. We are both gainfully employed and are very scared about what the future may hold. With strong legal representation, is there any chance he could become a legal resident of the United States?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
A DWI misdemeanor conviction is not considered a crime of moral turpitude (which could get your husband booted from the country). Therefore that particular conviction should not prevent him from becoming a U.S. citizen. FYI, crimes of moral turpitude involve nasty things like lying, cheating or stealing.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 4/7/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Most likely. A DUI or DWI (depends on the state where it happened) is usually not a bar to a green card. An attorney will ask to see his certified court disposition for the DWI and will ask other questions to make sure your husband qualifies before filing any documents. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: