With a lawyer representing me in California court, can I get custody of my son? 8 Answers as of January 30, 2011

Can a lawyer help me get custody of my child, even though I am a felon? My ex thinks he will get full custody because he is in the military.

Michael Rose Attorney at Law
Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
A custody case is not cut and dry. The judge considers many different issues. You will be asked to go to mediation to work out a custody and visitation agreement. If you come out of meditation without an agreement the judge could make it for you. Also if there are problems, the judge could order an evaluation. A lawyer will assist you to get the best outcome. For more information call us.
Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
All cases are different so there is no guarantee that a lawyer will get you custody of your son. However your likelihood of success will dramatically increase with representation. Please feel free to contact our office so that we may better understand your case and we can discuss possible representation of you.
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
An attorney can always help put your best argument forward in order to help you with a favorable custody arrangement. The fact that you have a felony conviction on your record does not help but it is not insurmountable. I recommend contacting an attorney to set up a consultation to discuss your matter in greater detail.
Being a "felon," does not automatically prevent custody. The custody determination is a based on a child's "best interests." There are a lot of factors that can go into the "best interest" determination. Feel free to call my office for an in-depth consult relative to the specific facts in your case. And yes, having a lawyer (versus not having one) will be a great advantage.
Your past will have an impact on your custodial rights, but if you have reformed can demonstrate to the court that you are capable of being a responsible parent, then it is possible for you to have time with your child, or even a joint custody situation. Please note, however, that custody is about decision making authority, not the time you spend with your child. An attorney can be of great help in your situation. Please contact me for a free consultation.
    Custody issues should never be so cut and dried. The fact that you are a felon will not help you, of course, but does not mean that you cannot share physical and legal custody of your son. Remember that custody is not absolute. There is legal and physical custody, and there is visitation. Your husband's military service status might mean that he deploys for months at a time, or that his hours prevent him from being available for your son at times that you would be available. There are many factors to consider. For what type of felony were you convicted? Are you still on probation or parole? Are you hanging around with some other felons? Do you have a stable environment in which to house your son? Are you working? Are you testing negative for drugs if you were convicted in a drug case? I mean, kiting some bad checks does not necessarily mean that you would jeopardize your son's safety.I would need to know more of the details of your specific situation.

Hire an attorney, if you can. Otherwise, at least take advantage of whatever free consultation service your local Court might provide, or call your local Bar Association to see if they offer a Pro Bono clinic.
    Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
    Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
    The best interest of the child is what matters. Just because you are a felon, does not stop you from obtaining custody. If you want to prepare the case to win, telephone me and we can begin immediately. I have reviewed your case information and I can help you with your custody battle. Since documents have been filed with the court it is very important that we speak as soon as possible, so I can evaluate your problem, and if hired protect all of your interests. The best way to contact me for an immediate response is for you to call, which will contact me directly anytime any day (24/7).
    Yes, an attorney can help you get custody.