Will we be able to stay in the home and make voluntary payments on the mortgage even though we are so far behind? 7 Answers as of September 14, 2017

We are extremely behind on our mortgage and have been trying to do a work out with our servicer for about 2 years. We recently filed chapter 7 and our lawyer encouraged us to include the mortgage due to being put into foreclosure so many times. Will they just re-start the foreclosure process immediately post discharge?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Yes, the lender will restart foreclosure. It appears that Chapter 13 would be a better choice.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 9/14/2017
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
You should have filed a Chapter 13, however, I have not one shred of paper in front of me, so it is hard to advise you this way.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 9/11/2017
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
Predicting what a mortgage service might do is too unpredictable to offer you a solid answer. However, after a Chapter 7 discharge, the foreclosure process can resume FROM WHERE IT STOPPED at the time you filed bankruptcy. So if you were on day 59 of a 60 day notice in scheduling a foreclosure sale, the foreclosure agent only needs to wait one more day before scheduling this foreclosure sale.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 9/8/2017
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
First of all, you were required by law to list ALL of your debts. So the mortgage company had to be included. And, yes they will continue the foreclosure process once you have a discharge. In California they only have to start over IF the notice of default is more than one year old. Your only hope of keeping the home is in chapter 13 where you will have 60 months pay all the past due payments and you will have to keep current on the monthly payments.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/8/2017
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
You have a lawyer, so why are you asking this site for information which he or she is paid to provide you? That said, the creditor can ask the Court for Relief from Stay, or just wait 90 days or so until the discharge, to proceed with the foreclosure. If you could afford it, you could do a Ch. 13 in which you catch up on the arrearage over 60 months, and also resume making the regular scheduled payments. That can be very harsh on your cash flow. Or you can try to negotiate something with the creditor. That is not frequently successful, but it seems worth a try.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 9/8/2017
    OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
    It is up to the mortgage company. They might be more inclined to work with you now that you have no other debt. They might also want to foreclose since home values have risen recently. You should resume making payments, submit a new loan modification packet, and discuss the possibility of a chapter 13 with a qualified attorney. A chapter 13 will give you time to make up the missed payments. You can still file a chapter 13 even though you have already filed a chapter 7.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 9/8/2017
    Law Office of Kimberly Fives | Kimberly Fives
    Filing bankruptcy chapter 7 will only serve as a temporary stay for the mortgagee. They will most likely file a motion to lift the stay to proceed in foreclosure well before your bankruptcy is concluded and your debt discharged.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/7/2017
Click to View More Answers: