WIll wages be garnished after Chapter 7 bankruptcy? 12 Answers as of June 11, 2013

I filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2005, Pro se and included a credit union. I was notified a writ of garnishment. I resigned before receiving the non certified writ. Is it legal for them to garnish when I included them in a 2005 bk?

Financial Relief Law Center
Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
No. If the creditor was included in your Chapter 7 bankruptcy, it is a violation of Bankruptcy laws to attempt to collect this debt. Assuming it is the same debt from your bankruptcy, and not a newly incurred debt, you must inform them of the discharge you received.
Law Office of Asaph Abrams
Law Office of Asaph Abrams | Asaph Abrams
If it was a prepetition dischargeable debt, then no, they can't collect on it after the successful completion of your bankruptcy-otherwise, what would be the point of all this? Contact an attorney to verify all details for you.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
If the debt was listed in your prior bk and you received a discharge, then any effort to collect on that debt is a violation of the Discharge Injunction.
Send them a letter with your notice of bankruptcy discharge, asking them to cease and desist and if they continue to collect after that, get an attorney and file a lawsuit through the bankruptcy court.
In the event a Creditor's debt was discharged in Bankruptcy, they are not allowed to continue action to collect that debt. Garnishment is an attempt to collect that debt.
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law | Gus Johnson
A creditor whose debt was discharged in bankruptcy cannot thereafter attempt to recover the discharged debt.
Answer Applies to: South Dakota