Will unemployment or government assistance program affect my visa application? 3 Answers as of March 07, 2011

My husband is unemployed for for over 8years because he is hiv positive. He is also on food stamps and the hasa program pays his. Can he file for me and my daughter to get a immigrant visa to come live with him in the USA? We got married in Jamaica but I have never been to the USA.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
Yes, they will affect your application.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 3/7/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Yes he may file for you and will have to do an Affidavit of Support. If your income does not demonstrate that you make more than 125% of the Poverty Guidelines for this year then you will also need a co-sponsor who does earn enough money to file another Affidavit of Support.

I would be happy to consult with you on your case. I do charge for consultations but whatever is paid for the consultation would be a credit toward the fees for your case if you retain us for further work after the consult. The consultation can be scheduled as indicated below by contacting my secretary, Janet, by phone or email.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/3/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is yes. However, there will need to be other co-sponsors with him to show ability to support financially both you and your daughter. I would also need to know if he is in the USA or in Jamaica. The US State Department will be looking for clear evidence that your marriage was entered into for love. I would be happy to help. Please feel free to call or e-mail for a phone consultation, or a live one with your husband if he is in the Los Angeles area.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: