Will they find me, even after my fine is paid for and would they then arrest me for lying? 8 Answers as of March 12, 2013

I am feeling as if I'm the worst person on the planet right now. I ended up stealing from my local mall and I was caught. I stole from various stores. I ended up being caught in this store. I don't know what came over me to do it. I feel like a low life. I am a minor. When I was caught, a nice young lady told me to come with her and sat me down. She made me fill out paper work (my name, address, number, birthdate) which I lied about because I was FRIGHTENED. I'm so sorry! She was so nice to me, said that I wasn't going to go to jail, no lawyer, just court. She gave me a fine, which I paid for FULL today automatically through the phone because I felt so GUILTY. I used Visa Gift cards to pay my fine, so they cannot track me down. I called private. I lied to them about everything but they have my stepfather’s number. I had to call him to come pick me up. They didn't write it down. When he came in, he just signed a few papers and they let me go. I'm scared to death. Will I then go to jail? What do I do? PLEASE HELP ME. I'm a horrible person. I've NEVER done anything like this before and I don't know what came over me. Please help me!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Get a lawyer if you get hauled into court. Do not plead guilty since you would lose all bargaining power. Quit stealing. You are not cut out for it.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/12/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. You and your parent should consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 3/11/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Horrible people go to jail. So, IF you are horrible you belong in jail. What would you like help with? You are a thief. You are a liar. You take people's kindness for weakness. Why would anyone in their right mind help you? Good luck to you.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/11/2013
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
You probably will not hear anything else about this case. If the police contact you with a court date, you better appear, but unless you get a notice to appear, I would not do anything. You could be faced with obstruction of justice, in addition to the theft charge. Because you are a minor, I seriously doubt jail would be an option, the worst you would get is some probationary sentence. Additionally, you will be appointed a lawyer to represent you if a court case is involved. Do not lose sleep over this, but do not do something stupid like this again.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/11/2013
The O'Hanlon Law Firm, P.C. | Stephen O'Hanlon
Sounds like you may be in the clear.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 3/11/2013
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    Try to hire and attorney and have them sort it out.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 3/11/2013
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    If the police were not called it sounds like the store decided to seek a civil penalty against you only. Sounds like you paid it. So the matter should be done and you likely will hear no more about it.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 3/11/2013
    Fairlie & Lippy, P.C.
    Fairlie & Lippy, P.C. | Steven Fairlie
    You still are not likely to go to jail if you have no prior record, in my opinion, but this will depend in part on what you do from this point forward, and in part on where this happened. If you have a very strict Judge or Prosecutor in your area that might make a difference.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 3/11/2013
Click to View More Answers: