Will there be problems with petitioning my wife if my immigration status changes? 3 Answers as of March 14, 2011

I am a permanent resident here in US. I petitioned my wife to come here but now I am planning to apply for my citizenship. Will there be any problem with her papers once I become a citizen? What should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Once you become a U.S. Citizen you have to notify the NVC or USCIS, depending on where her file is at the time. They will upgrade the petition from a FB-2A category to an Immediate Relative. This will speed up the process. However, if there are any derivative beneficiaries on the I-130, such as child, they would have to be separately petitioned if you become a U.S. Citizen. They could also lose any Child Status Protection Act eligibility if you become a citizen so you should speak to an immigration attorney before doing so.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/14/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
No problems - once you are a U.S. citizen file the I-485 along with the receipt notice of the I-130 you filed as a permanent resident.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/14/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Not a problem. Once you became a US citizen, send the copy of the naturalization certificate to the place where the I-130 is pending. If the I-130 is already approved, either send the copy of your naturalization certificate to the National Visa Center. If your wife is already in the US, and is eligible for adjustment, she can file the adjustment package as soon as you get your naturalization cert.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: