Will there be any problems if we travel to India immediately after getting our green card? 3 Answers as of September 11, 2014

We got our green cards last week. Now we have to travel back to India for a month. Also, my husband got this through employment based adjustment of status. Now his company wants to lay him off since they don't have any project. Can he search for a new job and come back? Will this affect our green card? Please advice.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nouri Law Corporation
Nouri Law Corporation | Faith Nouri, Esq.
If you already obtained your green card, then you have residency. You may travel with your passport.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/11/2014
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
Travel to India for a month is generally no problem. Not working for the employer who sponsors you once you get the green card can always be an issue, but not necessarily. Anything and everything can have an effect on your green card.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 9/11/2014
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
You may travel, but it is not advisable to remain out the country for an extended period of time. His employer laying him off could be more of an issue. Your husband should retain any and all evidence of working for the employer after receiving his green card as well as documentation regarding his termination.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/11/2014
Click to View More Answers: