Will a state come after you in another state for a bench warrant? 4 Answers as of March 08, 2012

I moved out of Florida before I resolved a matter of retail theft under $10. I missed my court hearing and they issued a bench warrant. Will the state of Florida come after me in another state for this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Amy C. Settlemire | Amy C. Settlemire
If there is a warrant and you come into contact with law enforcement in any state, that agency will ask for identification. If their system shows a warrant in Florida, you could be arrested. If you are arrested, the state where you are arrested will contact Florida and ask if Florida wants you extradited (returned to Florida). If Florida wants you returned, you will wait in jail until you are brought back. I recommend you hire an attorney in the county where you missed your court date. The attorney may be able to handle the case without you having to return to Florida. Option 2 is hire an attorney and return to Florida to turn yourself in and take care of the matter that same day.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/8/2012
Tennison & Soberon-Llort, PL | Christina Soberon-Llort
They won't come after you per say, but if you run into law enforcement in your new state and they run a check on you to see if there's any warrants, they will take you into custody if the Florida bench warrant pops up. They will alert law enforcement in Florida that they have you in case FL officials want to come get you. And then they'll keep you in custody for a a few days to see if Florida officials will come to transport you. It's unlikely for a misdemeanor, but I would recommend handling the Florida case so that you can move on and not be paranoid that police can arrest you at any time.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/7/2012
Gutin and Wolverton
Gutin and Wolverton | Harley Gutin
Typically a Court will issue a bench warrant for failing to appear (FTA) The prosecutor?s office will not seek extradition for an FTA on a minor charge such as a Misdemeanor offense from a far off jurisdiction. However, the warrant will remain and the Defendant can be picked up at Airports, cruise terminals or when stopped for a routine traffic ticket based on that warrant and held in the local jail until Florida does not come to pick the Defendant up.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/7/2012
Click to View More Answers: