Will spousal support affect my unemployment benefits? How? 8 Answers as of June 30, 2015

I am going to be divorced and will be receiving spousal support but I am also receiving unemployment benefits. Will those benefits continue once I start receiving the spousal support and should that amount of unemployment be considered when deciding on the amount of spousal support to be paid.

You should consult your divorce lawyer, if you have one, as to the effect of spousal support on UC benefits. You could write something into your Marital Settlement Agreement which provides for a review of spousal support once there is a significant change in your UC benefits (either by expiration or by your finding employment, or for some other reason). Without knowing for sure, I think that your eligibility for UC benefits and the size of those benefits depends strictly on the weeks you worked and your earnings. (Leaving aside certain disqualifying factors, such as residence abroad.) This should be double-checked.
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Receipt of spousal support will not impact upon UIB already being received, it's like apples and oranges. In fact, that you are unemployed and receiving UIB is probably why you got the award in the first place.
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
Maintenance will not impact your unemployment. However, the court will absolutely consider the amount of unemployment you get in determining the amount of maintenance. If the amount is reached by agreement, you should also consider it.
Spousal support i.e. Alimony is considered income for both State and Federal tax purposes, so in short check with your local unemployment office for a more detailed explanation.
The funds that you receive from your unemployment benefits will have an impact upon the amount of spousal support you will receive. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to assess your legal options and the determination of support.
    Unemployment will not be affected by spousal support but the amount of support could be, see an attorney.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    First, whether or not spousal support will affect your unemployment is a proper question for the department of unemployment, where you will register when you are unemployed. Second, spousal support is a negotiated amount in terms of time and amount. It usually takes into consideration the length of the marriage, ALL income of each spouse and potential income of each spouse. Consider Mediation for negotiating spousal support. Mediation if Fast, Effective and Affordable. Good luck.
    Peggy M. Raddatz
    Peggy M. Raddatz | Peggy M. Raddatz
    Yes the unemployment income will be considered in setting the amount of maintenance.