Will a special court martial be a Misdemeanor or Felony? 3 Answers as of March 28, 2011

I plead guilty to article 86 (unauthorized absence for over 30 days) and article 87 (missing a movement by design) in a special court martial. According to a few sources the definition of a felony in New York State is a crime punishable by not more than a year. As I was tried in a court that could not award a punishment greater than one year, does this mean my charges are misdemeanors in NYS?

A misdemeanor under New York State law is defined as any crime that is punishable by no more than one year in jail. A felony is defined as a crime that is punishable by more than one year, but most felonies that are non-violent do not require mandatory imprisonment. The military laws are a specialty that requires a military lawyer to answer. You should consult the attorney that handled the case or a military attorney since the laws are often different than the penal law of the State of New York or the procedural laws that govern those penal laws.
First the definition of a felony is where the punishment is for more than one year. The NY Penal law would have to be checked for a crime that is the most similar to the offense charged under the UCMJ ( US code of Military justice ). You should hire an attorney.
Raiser & Kenniff, PC
Raiser & Kenniff, PC | Steve Raiser
It would be the equivalent of a misdemeanor (because the amount of time that you can be sentenced to) but it is not a crime.