Will a simple misdemeanor affect my son's travel to the US? 7 Answers as of November 21, 2014

My son has a student visa and is studying in Iowa. He has recently received a fine for simple misdemeanor. He is due to fly back to UK in December then back to USA in January for spring semester. Will this now affect or prevent travel to USA? Does he have to get further permission regarding visa or just have to declare this at the airport?

Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. Since we do not have all the facts, it is impossible to give a completely accurate answers. Some misdemeanors can make a person either deportable or inadmissible (barred from entering the U.S.). Other misdemeanors will have no effect on his ability to exit and re-enter the country. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced immigration attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your son's situation. (S)he would then be in a better position to analyze his case and advise you of his options.
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
His re-entry should not be affected as long as his F1 visa is still active and unexpired. If, however, he has to reapply for the visa, the consulate may deny it on the basis of the misdemeanor.
It depends on what the misdemeanor was.
Does he have any probation? IF YES, then he cannot leave without the probation officer's permission. IF NO, then he is free to travel.
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
A misdemeanor is not a problem unless it is in warrant for not showing up for court.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    It is possible - it depends on the type of misdemeanor - some charges can get a person deported and/or excluded from re-entry - get a criminal defense lawyer that understands immigration consequences is this case in Colorado? if not, then you should post to Iowa attorneys. It might be helpful to post to an immigration list rather than a criminal defense list.
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    Unlikely this would affect his admissibility. Bring court certified paper to show the final disposition of the matter.