Will shoplifting affect my naturalization process? 4 Answers as of March 10, 2017

I was once charge with shoplifting and the judge dismissed the case with no charges. I apply for citizenship. I reported the matter to the officer who conducted my interview. I passed the interview but I was told that a letter will be sent to me to take to court to show court disposition about the case before a decision can be made.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
You need to get a certified copy of the docket sheet for your case to show that the case was dismissed. You can get a copy from the Criminal Clerk's Office in the courthouse where your case was heard. Make sure the docket sheet is a "Certified" copy.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/10/2017
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
A legal analysis of the immigration-related consequences of your shoplifting offense requires significantly more information. Under some circumstances the USCIS may treat a misdemeanor as a felony and may treat a dismissal as a conviction. Even in instances where a dismissed charge ultimately will not stand in the way of naturalization eligibility, it is necessary to supply a full set of court-certified disposition documents. If you had been represented by an immigration attorney from the onset, the risks and delays you now face could have been avoided. Even at this late stage it would be wise for you to engage an immigration attorney to review the court-certified disposition documents before submission of a response to the N-14 Request for Additional Documents.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/10/2017
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
You had to show the original disposition at the time of the interview. If you disclosed it, then it will just take time for them to verify that the dismissed case did not have any Immigration consequences.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/10/2017
The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler
The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler | Kevin Lawrence Dixler
You must wait for directions, but can try to figure out what is needed. Likely a certified copy of the final court order or certified disposition. If the directions in the form of written notice is not received, then you will have to do an inquiry. If a decision is issued, but you don't receive notice, then you will have to appeal based upon no notice. If you have waited more than 120 days after examination, then you can file a lawsuit and have the Federal Court consider whether to review your case. The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/10/2017
Click to View More Answers: