Will she still be able to ask me for child support if my ex and I have a verbal agreement stating she cannot? 8 Answers as of August 25, 2015

Can my ex come back and ask for back child support, even though I had a verbal agreement with her several years back? According to our agreement, I no longer needed to pay her child support? She has never filed for this but now she keeps me threatening me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
The purpose of child support is to provide for the child, not the parent. Any verbal agreement to the contrary will not be considered by the court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/17/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Yes, she can make a claim. Child support is a legal obligation for the benefit of the children, the parents cannot waive or negate it, especially if there is welfare.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/16/2015
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
No a verbal agree,net means nothing and in Georgia the non custodial parent must pay child support. It is state policy and not up to the other parent.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/16/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
She could come back and ask for child support. That issue is never closed ? because children's needs often change.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/15/2015
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
Your question does not clearly state whether or not you have an existing court order. If you had an existing court order for child support and you failed to modify it by a new court order, your ex has every right to ask for the old support amount you have not paid. The burden is upon you to demonstrate that a written agreement existed between the parties to modify the support or, better than that,you secured a court order to justify the downward modification of support.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/15/2015
Click to View More Answers: