Will receiving medicaid affect my green card application? 2 Answers as of June 02, 2011

I am pregnant and intending to apply for medicaid,my husband is a citizen and has already filed my greencard application.will receiving medicaid have any negative effects on my green card application

Practically speaking, I do not think so but there is the question whether he is capable of supporting you as he may have declared in his affidavit of support for you. Worse thing that can happen is that he may be asked to re-pay the government for the value of the services you received from the taxpayers if it is found that you are a public charge to the US. I believe folks who are in some way related to US taxpayers can use Medicaid in their time of need since their relatives paid into it. I would want to be on the safe side though and stay away from any public benefit while my application is pending. Good luck!
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Yes, receiving medicaid will have a negative effect on your green card application. No doubt, the hospital social worker encouraged you to apply. The hospital social worker is hired by the hospital to make sure that the hospital is paid. (S)he has no interest in preserving your immigration status. You need to see a lawyer to explore your options.