Will proof of cheating change our divorce? How? 8 Answers as of July 15, 2015

I have proof that he cheated on me. He cheated on me for years. I am pursuing divorce. Will this change the divorce or the settlement? What about the type of divorce that I should file?

Since 1971, California has been a no-fault divorce state. You do not have to prove infidelity to seek a divorce. All you need to establish is that you no longer wish to be with your estranged spouse. That's called irreconcilable differences.
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
There is only one type of divorce. No this like most states, is a no fault state. The only impact would be if he used community funds to foster his affairs (bought gifts, etc).
In Wisconsin we only have one kind of divorce. And the laws here, and now in most states, are essentially 'no-fault.' Meaning that you get a divorce because you want one. (In legal talk, the 'marriage is irretrievably broken.') The court does not want to know about anyone' personal morality, unless it is abusive or criminal. (Adultery is not illegal.) If he has wasted marital resources (meaning lots of money or property) in the course of this affair, you can seek a lopsided division of marital property, but you'd have to prove the expense and what it went for. Find a good matrimonial lawyer in your area.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
If you are in Florida, typically not, as Florida is a No Fault State. However, if you can prove that he wasted marital assets and monies in having his affair (such as bought her a car, paid for her rent, paid for hotel rooms, gave her monies, etc. - typically has to be more than just dinner and drinks), it could have an impact on the distribution of marital assets and debts. You should consult with an attorney.
Petit & Dommershausen SC
Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
No, it won't. Wisconsin is a no fault divorce state.
    Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
    Cheating has no bearing on divorce in California as it is a no fault divorce state. Sorry.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    No it will not. Florida is a NO FAULT State. Reasons are not necessary to get a divorce. If one party wants a divorce, that party does not need a reason and the other party cannot stop the divorce by objecting to it.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    Nebraska is a no fault state which means it doesn't matter if he cheated on you. The only way it would possibly come into evidence is whether or not he spent money on his outside activities and if there is a custody question.