Will a prenup protect me in my marriage? 12 Answers as of May 03, 2011

Will a prenup protect me from my upcoming spouse's judgments, tax obligations or debt he had prior to the marriage?

Yes a prenup will help, but the best arrangement is to have your separate bank account, credit cards, real estate, cars, and other accounts just in your name only.
A prenup will determine issues affecting you and your prospective spouse - it has no direct affect on 3rd parties. You will not be liable for any debts or obligations he creates before marriage. Generally, as long as you do not jointly sign on any debts or contracts after marriage, you won't be liable to third parties for those either.
You will not become liable for his debt unless you sign on as being responsible.
You do not need a prenuptial agreement to protect you from third parties who have claims from before you were married. You do not assume her debt just because you are getting married. Good luck.
A prenuptial agreement is only effective between the parties to the marriage. It does not change the rights of third parties that may be created by law or contract.
    It may protect you to some extent, depending upon its provisions.

However, you need to be aware of additional things that you should do to insulate you from your fiance's liabilities.

Protect your earnings and income by deposting them into a separate bank account under your sole name to which your husband has no right of access, and don't commingle community funds or your husband's income (which would be community property absent a Prenuptial Agreement making his income his separate property) in that account.

Community property of you and your husband would be vulnerable to your husband's premarital liabilities, so you may want the Prenuptial Agreement to opt out of the community property system and convert acquisitions during the marriage into your sole and separate property.

Do not commingle separate property and community property.

Discuss, with yourPremarital Agreement lawyer,your desire for protection from your husband's premarital judgments, tax obligations, and debt, so that the lawyer can draft the Premarital Agreement with that protection in mind.
    It depends on what the prenup says, what community assets there will be,and what the judgments are for. There is a little known statutuory device called the marital bankruptcy rule. You need to seean experienced family law attorney.
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
    Yes. You should definitely have a prenuptial agreement in place to protect yourself from your spouse's current and future liabilities.
    Law Office of John C. Volz
    Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
    Yes so long as you do not comingle your bank accounts or finances, you will be protected. The debts are all his separate property debts, however if you have community property income, debtors may seek judgments against the community. If you have a prenup which states that your earnings will not be community property, you will be protected.
    The answer is not simple. In most situations, judgments against him for things he did before marriage do not affect you. But they can affect you in some cases, and they can become liens (legal claims) against assets that you and he own. You want to get a clear idea of the situation before marriage. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you.
    Apple Law Firm PLLC
    Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
    You should talk with a Florida Asset protection lawyer, you may use a Prenuptial agreement to keep assets separate but if you co-mingle assets then they could be at risk.