Will a police searching my dorm room show up on my record? 80 Answers as of June 23, 2013

I live in a college dorm room and recently received a citation for possession of marijuana. I let the officer pat me down and search my room. When he was done he left and I was never taken down to the police station or anything. I wasn't arrested at all was I? This wont show up on any type of arrest record will it? Thanks

DeVito & Visconti, PA
DeVito & Visconti, PA | John E DeVito
If the police searched your dorm room and did not arrest you or summons you to court, no criminal record has been created. Because you were not fingerprinted, no FBI record is created. (all fingerprints taken by the police in MA are forwarded to the FBI) The only information about you may stem from the civil citation issued for possessing marijuana. There may also be a police report on record about the search of your dorm room.
If you were charged with a criminal offense, even if you were not arrested, it could show up on a criminal background check.
If you received a citation, then you have been charged with a crime. If convicted, yes, it will be a part of your record.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
The only thing that shows up on your CORI is actual court appearances. A search should not appear, nor a citation.
Robert Mortland
Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
This will not show up as an arrest. However, the infraction could appear on a background check.
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
    You are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. You have a right to counsel. I'd strongly encourage you to exercise that right. It depends on what your citation is; if it's for a misdemeanor, you have a pending criminal complaint and will need to turn yourself in and be arraigned. It should state something on the bottom of the ticket whether to turn yourself in at a particular court within a period of time. If you failed to comply with the instructions on the ticket, you could be risking a bench warrant, so read it carefully. The police don't necessarily need to bring a person down to the police station for a misdemeanor; they can simply issue the ticket with the expectation being that the individual will turn themselves in to the court. Read the language very carefully on that ticket. Possession of marijuana in Michigan can be charged as a misdemeanor punishable if convicted by up to one year in jail, probation, fines, costs, license sanctions, or other penalties. However, it depends on what you were charged with. If it was for a civil infraction issued pursuant to a local ordinance, then it's potentially a different situation. I'd advise you to privately consult with a defense attorney. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations.
    Ipson Law Firm, PLLC
    Ipson Law Firm, PLLC | Michael Ipson
    If you received a citation for possession then you have been charged with a crime. It is possible that you may be convicted of this crime. The conviction is what will show up on your criminal record. The fact he didn't take you to jail is irrelevant.
    You were not arrested and there is no record of that. Your police department may have a contact list, but this is an internal non-public record with the police.
    You have to deal with the citation you were given. I'm sure you have to appear in court on that.
    The Sarbaugh Law Firm
    The Sarbaugh Law Firm | Bruce W. Sarbaugh
    Your question actually involves a couple of different parts. If you were issued a citation by the police for possession of marijuana, then the answer is yes, there will be records of the police contact and "arrest" (even though you were not taken into custody, the issuance of a citation technically constitutes an "arrest"). If the citation was simply issued by the dorm supervisor, then you would not have a formal arrest report or record, but the university or college would have a record of the incident. While the privacy of your university/college records are protected under federal law (FERPA), most states would also allow you to either seal these records or have them expunged. That way, even if a future employer were to gain access to your college records, the particular incident would still protected from public review. You also need to be particularly aware that drug possession charges can and will terminate your ability to receive financial aid for school.
    Dungan, Lady, Kirkpatrick & Dungan PLLC | Michael Dungan
    The citation is the functional equivalent of an arrest, it should show upon your record. Hopefully your case is being handled by competent counsel, there are avenues available to you to come out of this case with no record whatsoever.
    I would need further information such as was the citation for you to appear in a criminal court or was it internally with the college. If it is for a court appearance you will have an arrest record-they do not have to take you any place to be arrested they can just issue a desk appearance ticket or other citation to appear in court. You should show the citation to an attorney.
    Yes. It will show up as a petty offense unless you pursuade the judge to give you an ACD. The judge can grant this even if The prosecution objects. An ACD is where your case gets adjourned, usually for a year but sometimes less. If you don't get into trouble while the case remains open, then on the adjourned date the case is automatically dismissed. You usually get offered only one of these and very rarely a second.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law
    Attorney & Counselor at Law | John Hugger
    Anything is possible with the facts you describe. Consult with an attorney ASAP!
    The ticket itself may show up on an arrest report. You're looking at a $300 fine as a result of the ticket. The college/university may also become involved due to the ticket.
    The police may make a report but it will not be on the NYSID computer or a criminal record. You should never consent to a search of your car or home. You are lucky yo were not arrested as they would normally suspend you from school.
    No.
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
    You were cited not arrest so this should not appear on your record.
    The citation ordered you to appear in court most likely. Upon a conviction, you will have a criminal record. An attorney may be able to assist you in this matter through a 7411 plea.
    The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco
    The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco | Victor J Mazzaraco
    The legal definition of "arrest" involves a reasonable person's view on - in totality of the circumstances - whether they are free to move about - leave - as they want...if you are surrounded by 6 cops with guns drawn "you're under arrest" really doesn't need to be spoken, you understand you better not run...so unless you had pounds of herb in your dresser you probably got a citation, very similar to a speeding ticket, because small amounts of grass are decriminalized here in sunny, beautiful, let-your-freak-flag-fly Cali. I love it!
    No, you got a ticket, that's all.
    No, it won't. It's just as if you got a traffic ticket. However, make sure you take care of it as it can effect your license otherwise.
    Only arrests and convictions.
    If you were not printed or had your mug shot taken, you are in the clear. There should be no premanent record, just a local police report of the incident that remains in the police station. The cop is treating it like a traffic violation, not criminal, just a petty offgense, however, make sure to do whatever the directions on the ticket say to do.
    Salladay Law Office | Lance Salladay
    If you were not "booked" (photographed and finger printed) it is unlikely to show up on a criminal record. However it could show up on a court repository or record of court actions - that you were cited for possession. The search of your dorm is not enough to show up on a criminal record.
    Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
    If you received a citation, presumably you are required to appear in court. If your appearance in court results in a criminal conviction, you will have a criminal record.
    Law Offices of James A Bates
    Law Offices of James A Bates | James A Bates
    Less than one ounce of marijuana is an infraction. No big deal. Do NOT let cops search you room without a search warrant.
    Baner and Baner
    Baner and Baner | Jonathan Baner
    There might be an incident file somewhere, but it should not otherwise appear based on the facts your stating.
    In the future , do not let cops into your residence unless thet have a warrant. The filing of a case will definitely be on your record. Get an attorney or ask for one, if you do not have the funds, when you appear. Don't fail to appear. Can get you arrested and make you stay in jail.
    That depends on whether you are charged with possession of marijuana or drug paraphernalia. If he or she found weed, you will get a citation in the mail to come to court. That will show up on your record as a charge until enough time goes by to get it vacated and dismissed. If you get a citation, that means you have been charged and must go to court. If convicted, you will serve at least one day in jail. The other consequence of a conviction is you could lose your financial aid. I hope I don't need to tell you how many Mexicans have been killed and American law enforcement over marijuana. By being a consumer, you have blood on your hands. Using pot is not a victimless crime and it is a big deal. Unless you are a freshman, you should also know that a marijuana conviction can disqualify you from several different professions. Until you get your conviction vacated and dismissed, don't bother applying for any job in law enforcement, law, medicine, teaching or any other number of positions. If you are not a freshman, I dare say you need to grow up and start considering consequences. The other thing I can tell you as someone who has been a lawyer for going on 22 years and has worked as a prosecutor and a defense attorney is NEVER consent to a search of your car, dorm room, motel room of anything including your self. You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney and to have the attorney present during questioning. For God's sake use your Constitutional Rights! I don't care if a cop gives me crap about "being uncooperative." My job is to protect my rights in that context. The officer's job is to gather evidence and prove me guilty." Why on earth would I want to oblige the officer in that?
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine | Jerry Lee Wallentine Jr.
    If the police issued you a citation for possession, any potential later conviction would likely show up. If you were issued a real citation, you should have been provided a court date.
    Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
    Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
    You were not arrested; your were cited. That does not count as a criminal "conviction" if you are found guilty in court.
    Thomas C. Brandstrader Attorney At Law | Thomas C. Brandstrader
    No.
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
    It will not show up on your criminal history.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Law Office of Christian Phelps P.S.
    Law Office of Christian Phelps P.S. | Christian Phelps
    The short answer is that it might. If you were actually booked into a jail - finger printed and photographed, etc. - that information goes immediately into the state criminal records system administered by the Washington State Patrol and would show up as an "arrest" on your record. Because you were merely cited and released (technically still considered an arrest) the more important issue is the outcome of the actual possession charge. If it was dismissed outright it might never show up in the records maintained by the State Patrol and therefore not show up on your publicly available "official criminal history." Generally only conviction information is supposed to be included in your publicly available criminal history. However, a dismissal after a period of probation or a diversion agreement is considered an "outcome adverse to the defendant" and the State Patrol can make it part of your publicly available criminal history. Your issue doesn't stop there. The local jurisdiction where you received the ticket will enter the charge into their local court records which in most cases are linked to the state-wide court records system. Most data-mining companies and companies that conduct background searches for employers and landlords etc., know to check this system as well. So even if your POM charge doesn't make it to your official criminal record maintained by the State Patrol it will still be in the court records system and available for public inspection. You can search for yourself on the Washington Courts website and see if you show up, some smaller jurisdiction have yet to link into the system.
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
    It sounds like it was not an arrest but simply a "civil" violation, which may or may not show up, but certainly not as any type of criminal action. Hopefully you have learned that you should NOT consent to a search of your person, home, or car. The Constitution of the United States protects us, unless we consent.
    Answer Applies to: Maine
    Dowdy Law Office
    Dowdy Law Office | J. Scott Dowdy
    It won't show up as an arrest because there was no arrest. It will show on the courthouse public records as a drug charge.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    Sounds like you were arrested, so yes.
    Did you receive any citation? So far, you are not arrested, but if pot was found, you could be charged. The longer it stays dormant, the better for you, sometimes these things just fall through the cracks.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    You were not "booked", so there will be no booking record. You are however charged with an offense. In Minnesota, any marijuana charge that can be charged by citation is a petty misdemeanor. A petty misdemeanor is technically non-criminal. This means that conviction of a petty misdemeanor is not a criminal offense and does not give you a criminal record. There is, however, a file opened. No one can guarantee that an industrious "background check" will not find the file and that a prospective employer will not base a decision on that file. I do not suggest taking even a petty misdemeanor lightly. It may well be worth your effort, in the long run, to contest the charge and at least see if it can be handled in a manner that will preserve your "record".
    J.W.Poprawa, Attorney at Law | Joseph W. Poprawa
    A citation for possession usually requires a court appearance and could show up on your record. I'd follow up by reviewing the citation carefully and following directions or contact the court where it stemmed from.
    Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
    Probably not. Normally, persons are formally arrested, fingerprinted, and then a permanent record of an arrest stays on their arrest record unless expunged. This can be done by campus police departments with the proper certifications. In this case, it appears from what you have described that no arrest was processed. You could speak to the campus police office, if you desire. There are risks in every action you take. You could speak at length to an attorney in person.
    You still must go to court, correct? What is going to happen when you get to court? When you case is disposed or, there will be a record of what occurred, and that will show up.
    Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law
    Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law | Edward A. Kroll
    A simple search without arrest will not show up on your record. You would know if you had been arrested.
    Brucar & Yetter, P.C.
    Brucar & Yetter, P.C. | Wayne Brucar
    It is possible the citation will if it was written as an ordinance violation. If it does, it may be expugnable depending on how it was closed.
    If you received a citation for possession of marijuana most likely you are charged with an infraction. In California possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is an infraction and the penalty is a one hundred dollar fine. This will show up on your record the same as any other infraction, such as a traffic ticket, would. If applying for a job you do not have to include this in the application.
    Gregory C. Graf
    Gregory C. Graf | Gregory C. Graf
    If you received a summons, the charge will show up on your record. You would be wise to receive the help of an attorney so you can dispose of your case in a way that will allow you to easily seal the records at a later date.
    Law Office of Charles J. Block
    Law Office of Charles J. Block | Charles J. Block
    If you received a citation - more than likely it will show up on your criminal history.
    The Short Law Group, P.C.
    The Short Law Group, P.C. | Shawn Kollie
    What appears to have occurred was a violation charge for less that 1 ounce of Marijuana. This is a violation and not a crime, thus you would not be arrested only given a citation. If you were to plead guilty to this crime you would have on your criminal history a conviction for a violation level offense of Possession of Marijuana < 1 Ounce. This conviction would show up of a criminal background check, but is also expugnable. Talk to a Criminal Defense Lawyer or an Expungement Attorney regarding these two issues.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    Sounds weird. Is it a school citation or a criminal court citation? If criminal court then you must hire an attorney as it will show on your record. As for school court, those don't really show, but could be a problem for graduate schools.
    H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
    What happened with the citation? Was the case dropped, or do you still have to go to court to resolve it?
    Lewin & Lewin | Robert D. Lewin
    This will not show up on your Massachusetts Criminal Record.
    Law Office of J Edward Jones | J Edward Jones
    An informal contact from the police, even if it involves a search, should not show up on your record. Usually, only formal arrests, where you are fingerprinted, are recorded.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    If there was no arrest, it will not show up on any arrest records. However, your ticket will.
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
    If you received a citation (and a court date), this is actually an arrest, and you being released on your promise to appear in court. If the charges are filed on or before that date, it will appear on your arrest record, even if it is only for an infraction (like a traffic ticket; possession of less than an ounce of marijuana also). If charges are not filed at that time, then your record should show a detention only. If you were not issued a citation there might be no record.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    The citation will, unless the charge is dismissed and then you have it expunged.
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
    If you were given a citation, there must be a court date associated with that (or you will be mailed a summons) and so this is likely to show up on your criminal history. If this is a misdemeanor, you can expunge it three years after you have completed all conditions of any sentence imposed.
    Bruce Plesser | Bruce Plesser
    If there was no arrest, probably not.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    Yes - the citation is a criminal arrest for possession of MJ you have a court date that you must appear for if you are convicted, it will show a conviction.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    It won't be an arrest record it sounds like but if there was a court case opened - i.e. if you had to go to court - then there will be a record of it someone could find if they looked in the right court. Also, the police department will have a record of it and that could be located if someone looked for it. It is best to work it out so it gets dismissed so under Colorado law the records of it could be sealed, so no public person could see it.
    If it was a police officer you should check and see if you were charged or a police report was done. If no charges, it will not show up.
    Robert Valles and Associates P.C.
    Robert Valles and Associates P.C. | Robert Valles Jr.
    No it shouldn't show.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    If you were charged with possession you have a court date and will need to answer the charge. Do not ignore it. I believe it will appear on your record.
    No it won't. Next time don't consent to any pat down or search. Exercise your 4th Amendment right and kindly decline.
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
    If he didn't take you to the station, you were not arrested. If he didn't issue a citation or a notice to appear in court, then there are absolutely no charges pending. It is possible that the DA may file charges later on.
    The Law Office of Stephanie M. Arrache
    The Law Office of Stephanie M. Arrache | Stephanie Arrache
    It depends on whether he issued you a citation with a date to appear in court. You don't have to be taken into custody for there to be a charge filed against you. Watch your mail, as you may get a notice from the DA. Or, you could call the police station and check on the citation.
    Law Office of Patrick Lewis, LLC | Patrick M. Lewis
    The citation is a criminal charge. That criminal charge is "on your record." If you are convicted that conviction will be on your record as well. In Kansas Possession of Marijuana is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in the county jail and a fine of up to $2,500. The citation will have a court date on it. Make sure you know when and where you are supposed to be in court. Do not talk about the facts of the search or the marijuana with anyone other than your attorney. Anything you say to anyone else, or post on line, could be used against you.
    Law Office of Patrick E. Donovan, PLLC
    Law Office of Patrick E. Donovan, PLLC | Patrick E. Donovan
    You have been summoned to the Court for a misdemeanor charge. Although you were not arrested, it will show up on your criminal record, as will any conviction. I have managed to get these types of charges dropped on many occasions in the past.
    LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com
    LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com | Andrea Storey Rogers
    No, it sounds like you were not arrested. However, if you received a citation for possession of marijuana, that charge will show up on your permanent criminal record. If you plead guilty and are convicted, the conviction will appear on your permanent criminal record. If you hire an attorney to represent you, and if you don't have any similar prior convictions on your record, the attorney may be able to negotiate a plea bargain with the prosecutor where you plead guilty to a reduced charge, such as "Littering" and you pay a fine and court costs. Of course, this depends on the court and the prosecutor.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    This will show up that you were cited for marijuana. If you can get the case dismissed you can seal the record of the citation.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney