Will a police officer know if my license was suspended in a different state? 9 Answers as of August 04, 2011

I have no conviction for dui in Kansas due to a diversion agreement I entered into. However, my license has been suspended for 1 year in Kansas, followed by 1 year of interlock use. Before my license was suspended I was able to get a valid California license. During a traffic stop, will the police know about my suspended Kansas license since I have a valid California license? If so, what will the penalty be. Is there any way to legally drive?

Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
If you have a valid California license there should not be a problem, although CA will not usually issue a license if they know your privilege has been suspended in another state.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
The police will not know about your Kansas suspension unless DMV has reflected the Kansas suspension with a California suspension. As inefficient as DMV is, I would guess they won't catch it until you need to renew. When they do take action, they should notify you by mail. Keep an eye on your mail box.
If you have a valid CA license that's really all they care about. Sometimes suspension information is shared from neighboring states, but it is seldom something they have from as far away as Kansas.
Thats a big maybe. He should if lots of people have done their jobs That does not always happen
    Possibly. Some states have linked systems. If they find out, you will be charged with driving on a suspended license per DUI, VC 14601.2(a), which has a mandatory jail requirement.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    Probably not. DMV will eventually find out, but the police would have to run the Kansas license to see it come back with your name. Not the other way around.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    First of all every state is required to notify another state when someones license is suspended. California should not have issued you a license if at the time they did your license was suspended in Kansas. You should check with the DMV to see if your license is suspended. As to whether a police officer in California will know that your license is suspended in another state, that is very unlikely but sometimes happens.
    In a CA traffic stop, the police records check would show current CA DMV status. You may not technically be illegally in possession of a CA license, if you didnt lie about suspension at the time of your CA application. All states DMV are tied together by computer, and honor each others actions. I would expect CA DMV to soon send you a notice that your CA license is suspended because of the out of state suspension. CA will find it at their regular update review. You would then have to comply with and clear the out of state requirements before CA would clear their suspension. That could mean you have to do the interlock here for a year.