Will a petty Theft that I was not charged for show up on my record? 13 Answers as of September 02, 2011

3 years ago I got stealing an item under 50 dollars. I was over 18, and was given a civil restitution fee of $250.00. The police were not called, I was not arrested, and I didn’t have a court date, and was not charged. I paid the fee and was banned from the store for 3 years. The question is, even though I was never charged would this theft appear on my record to potential employers?

If by your "record" you mean your criminal history, of course not since you never had a charge filed with a court of law. In addition since you paid the fine before a civil action was filed there would be no public record of that. The only "record" would be with the store and the company who handle the collection effort and it is doubtful anyone would stumble on that information.
It shouldn't. Only convictions show up on your record.
Probably not as there is nothing to base a record on.
LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
I don't follow your questions completely. You say you never had a court date, but yet you say you were banned from the store for three years. Who banned you? You say a civil restitution fee was charged in the amount of $250. Who levied the fine? Assuming the store banned you, and assuming the store extorted $250 from you, you should not have any record. If the police were not called there should not be any arrest record. If no court date was issued then no criminal record should exist. One way to confirm is to go to the criminal court clerks office and have them do a search for you using your name and date of birth. If you can not find any information regarding any criminal activity then chances are any potential employer would not be able to find any information as well. Hope this helps.
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
If there was no arrest or conviction it will not show up.
    No, it should not be a part of any Department of Justice record, or 'Rap Sheet'.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    No- it should not be on any record as you were never arrested or charged.
    If you werent convicted, there is no conviction on your record. If you werent arrested, there is no arrest on your record. If you simply paid the store money, you were dealt with informally without a criminal record.
    Since it has been 3 years, chances are you will never be charged. Without having been charged there is no criminal record.
    No you have to be arrested or charged for it to appear on public record.
    It shouldn't BUT here is how you test it. Go to any police station and tell them you want a copy of your C.I. & I. report. They will charge you some money and take your fingerprints. That is your rap sheet so when it comes back you can see if it is on your record or not. I doubt it will be on your record.
    If you were never arrested, and not charged, then there should not be any criminal record. If you want to make sure, you can run a background check on yourself to confirm if there are any arrests on your record.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Without police involvement or a case being filed against you, nothing should be on your criminal history.