Will a past misdemeanor affect my chances of going to school? 4 Answers as of July 22, 2011

I was caught shoplifting 3 years ago in Alabama and was granted youthful offender and was ordered to complete a counseling program. Once the program was over the records are suppose to be sealed. I am now applying to professional school and I am wondering will this affect my chances of getting in? There is a question that say have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony-including first offender treatment. Do I have to respond yes? Also will this show up on my criminal background check?

You can honestly answer, "No." Youthful Offender is its own creature, and you were convicted of being a Youthful Offender, not the underlying charge. Stay well.
There should be no problem with you going to school or the adjudication showing up on a youthful offender.
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
The arrest may appear in a criminal background search. I would be honest on the application. You were not convicted of a crime but adjudicated a Youthful Offender. The determination should be sealed.