WIll past criminal records affect my chances of getting citizenship? 7 Answers as of July 26, 2011

I had 2 criminal citations back in 2007 (loitering for the purpose of prostitution and misdemeanor battery) which was dismissed. Will these be a problem when applying for citizenship ?

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
Dear Sir/Madam: To be eligible for citizenship you must be of good moral character within the last five years. They can take the arrests into consideration.
Maybe. It depends on what actual convictions you have on your record. So, pull your record and ascertain that you do not have a felony on there or more than 2 misdemeanors. Good luck!
Yes, possibly, as loitering for prostitution may qualify as a crime of moral turpitude and the assault case could've resulted in a term of imprisonment at least up to one year, both of which might be disqualifying factors(even if the assault case was dismissed). Best to consult with a local attorney in your area who handles immigration matters and who could further advise you on these matters.
Most crimes require waiting 5 years before you can apply. For the specific questions, I will need to see the court minutes.
Yes they will be a problem
    The Law Offices Jonathan D Montag
    The Law Offices Jonathan D Montag | Jonathan D Montag
    To naturalize, a person must have good moral character for the last five years. USCIS is very strict and will often deny a person naturalization for conduct that is not morally offensive or statutarily defined as barring a finding of good moral character. They could even consider arrests. It is safest to wait five years from the last offense to avoid wasting a lot of money if waiting is feasible. If a persons last error was in 2007, it is not that far until 2012. Of course some conduct can lead to deportation no matter how long ago it was.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    Certainly not if it was dismissed. You otherwise should show the record of conviction to an immigration attorney before applying.