Will a negligence in paying tax return will affect my Green Card filing? 1 Answers as of April 18, 2011

Will a negligence in paying tax return will affect my Green Card filing? This negligence was due to my tax filer who used a wrong article number. This gave a greater return than actual. I am an international student on F1 Visa. I got audited by IRS for 2008. Not only me, but many other students were affected by this tax filing agent. What can we do together? Can we report this to the IRS that this agent did a bad job so we all are suffering for her. I will highly appreciate if you can help.

Chances are the IRS already knows about this tax preparer but it does not hurt to add an explanation for the negligent act that caused you harm. It is already a positive thing that it was a negligent and not willful act on your part. If you are now paying taxes or are on a repayment plan, then I see no big issues with your green card application down the line. There is always an out when the harmful conduct was through no fault of your own. Good luck!