Will my traffic tickets as well as some criminal cases be cleared with bankruptcy? 12 Answers as of October 16, 2014

I am currently residing in California and trying to get myself out of debt, I have sent up payment plans to do so but feel I will never get out of debt and wanted to file for bankruptcy as I am a single parent barely getting by. I have court fines from traffic tickets as well as some criminal cases and wanted to know if that will be cleared with bankruptcy as well as my debts or would I have to continue with the payment plans?

EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
Traffic tickets and criminal court costs should be dischargeable.
Not dischargeable in bankruptcy. Look at 11 USC 523.
Fines imposed in criminal and traffic cases are not dischargeable in bankruptcy.
Idaho Bankruptcy Law | Paul Ross
Traffic tickets or fines, penalties, and related costs (like restitution) are not usually dischargeable in bankruptcy. If you file a 7 you will need to continue making payments. If it is a Ch 13 then you would not make payments anymore unless there is an ongoing cost, like probation. Visit with an attorney for the best resolution.
While you may be able to eliminate the legal responsibility to pay for traffic offenses in bankruptcy, you won't be eligible to eliminate damages related to any criminal offense in a Chapter 7. Chapter 13 could be a better option which would let you pay only what the court finds you can afford.
    Barnhart Law Office
    Barnhart Law Office | Bruce C Barnhart
    No, debts that are criminal penalties are not discharged.
    No, criminal restitution is not discharable.
    Freeman Law Group, LLC
    Freeman Law Group, LLC | Derek Freeman
    You reside in California and I am not licensed to practice in that state. If you lived in Colorado, I would say that your traffic tickets and criminal fines will NOT be cleared with bankruptcy. These are categorized as priority debts, and cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. However, if you file a chapter 13, you can make payments towards these debts, interest-free, until they are paid in full.
    Hoang & Tran PLLC | Adam Tran
    When the government's money is concerned, the answer is generally "no", however, the traffic tickets MAY (I strongly stress "MAY") be discharged. It depends on who is collecting it. I have not asserted this argument in bankruptcy court, but in Texas, the automated red-light traffic tickets are civil matters and NOT criminal. It potentially could be discharged. Please go talk to a bankruptcy attorney on your specific matter.
    Criminal fines and tickets ate not dischargeable in bankruptcy.
    Unfortunately, court related fines are not dischargable in bankruptcy.