Will my theft case affect my filing for citizenship? 9 Answers as of August 05, 2011

I want to file a citizenship and,i have a petty theft case but it was expunged this july 25,2011. I'm just wondering it it will affect for my filling.

Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
It depends when you were arrested. Need to have a 5 year clean history. Call us for a consultation.
All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
I recommend you get a second opinion from another immigration attorney. Yes it will affect your filing. Of course it will. It will affect it even more if you don't provide them with all the information, all of it, from sealled confidential certified copy of the court docket, to expunged police report, whatever. Everything. But, if you don't have any other criminal stuff you're not hiding, and if you are otherwise eligible, you shouldn't have a problem to natz, especially with experienced immigration counsel.
You should never expunge any record before you become a US citizen because, expungement does not make the crime go away for immigration purposes. I will have to see the original court minutes before expungement to be able to advise you.
Maybe you have a very good chance of getting your citizenship without a problem. There are some exceptions about criminal records. We will need to know more information about you to see if you qualify for the exemption.
Yes, a theft case may keep the USCIS officer from determining that you are a "person of good moral character", which is a requirement for naturalization. The expungement does nothing, as it does not change the fact that you committed a crime, were arrested, charged and convicted. You may need to wait for five years beyond the final disposition of your criminal case. Consult with an immigration attorney to review the criminal record.