Will my spouse have to pay for my attorney fees if I'm a stay at home mom with no income? 6 Answers as of February 17, 2012

I am in a really abusive relationship; my husband is openly cheating on me, he's verbally abusive and hide money from me. I can't afford an attorney because i don't have a job, i can't move out because i don't know anyone in the USA beside his family. will he have to pay my attorney fees if not what can i do? I am a US resident.

H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
You can certainly ask the court to order him to pay your attorney's fees, including while the suit is pending. It is up to the discretion of the court whether to award them to you.
We recommend that you talk with family and friends for help, along with your local spousal abuse charitable organization, if you see the need. It would be helpful if you have family or friends who can help you financially, because, even if you obtain an award of attorney fees, most attorneys need some funds up front to help with costs. Good luck.
Speaker Law Firm
Speaker Law Firm | Theodore Speaker
That is up to the judge. You want to ask for them, but it is his decision. You have a better than 50/50 to get attorney fees.
VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC
VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC | Anthony Overton Van Johnson
In order to obtain legal representation, you may (1) contact "Legal Aid" to see if they will represent you at no cost, or (2) you may be able to find an attorney to represent you and request attorneys fees.
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
The issue of attorney's fees is discretionary - there is no entitlement to attorney's fees but the judge can grant fees. It does sound like you have grounds for a good attorneys fees argument.