Will my son be responsible for medical bills if he gives consent to his father's surgery? 1 Answers as of November 30, 2011

My son went to visit his father in the hospital. He had not seen him for 40 years. The hospital needs to do some surgery on his 85 year old father and is requesting my son's consent. My son feels very reluctant about giving his signature. He feels he might be made responsible for his medical bills. Please advise. Thank you for your advice.

The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A.
The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A. | Laurie E. Ohall
Giving consent for surgical procedures does not necessarily mean that the hospital is asking him to be financially responsible. He needs to ask the hospital directly, if he signs whatever they are asking him to sign, will he be financially responsible for the medical bills? He also needs to make sure he reviews whatever he is signing to make sure that he is not signing as the "responsible party" who is financially responsible for the procedures. If he is still not sure about what he is signing, he should ask to take a copy of it and have it reviewed by his attorney. Also, if there is any language in the contract stating financial responsibility, he can cross it out and initial and state that he is only signing to consent for treatment, but not to be financially responsible.