Will my sister lose the estate after filing bankruptcy? 10 Answers as of January 29, 2014

My mother past away in 2002,the estate was closed in Jan 2014,My sister spent all the monies in the estate and then filed bankruptcy.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office Of Victor Waid
Law Office Of Victor Waid | Victor Waid
She needs to consult with a bankruptcy attorney for the answer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/29/2014
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
The trustee in her bankruptcy may want to know where the money went.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 1/29/2014
Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
I do not understand your question. It sounds to me like your sister has *already* "lost" the estate. If she spent all of the monies and declared bankruptcy, then what is there left for her to lose?
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/29/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Doesn't sound like it. She spent the money, it is gone.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 1/29/2014
Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
There is not enough info here to answer this question. For whom did she file bankruptcy for the estate or herself?
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/29/2014
    Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
    If it's all gone and bankrupt, what is there to lose?
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/29/2014
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    If all of the money is spent it is gone. You may be able to sue her in a manner that she cannot discharge in bankruptcy on the basis of fraud. See an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/29/2014
    James Oberholtzer, Attorney at Law
    James Oberholtzer, Attorney at Law | James Oberholtzer
    If she spent the money improperly, you can object in the bankruptcy.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 1/29/2014
    Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
    You need to see an attorney. Your sister breached her fiduciary duty in regard to the estate. She should not be able to discharge this debt. Please see an attorney as soon as possible
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 1/29/2014
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    You should speak with an attorney. The issues are complex. Really one has nothing to do with the other. If she misappropriated money she cannot discharge that in Bankruptcy, but you need to object.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 1/29/2014
Click to View More Answers: