Will my shoplifting charge ruin my future, education, and will it go on my permanent record? 2 Answers as of March 19, 2015

I was shoplifting for the first time and got caught for the first time at Target. I'm 13 and I shoplifted items worth about $200. I am a great student and get all As. I don't know what came over me. I'm so scared. Police were involved but since I issue under 14 the court weren't involved, or at least I don't think so. They told me that I couldn't ever visit that store branch again and they would watch me at any other Target. Does it last for rest of my life. And will it go to my permanent record and ruin my future. Please help me. I won't ever do it again. I'm so sorry. I regret it so much. I know I deserved it, but I don't want to get in trouble. I confessed and everything. I'm only 13 and it was really stupid of me.

If your case did go to court it would be heard in juvenile court which does not result in a "conviction". In many counties the probation department may not recommend you be charged at all and your case could be handled informally. If it does go to court you are entitled to a court appointed attorney if you family cannot hire on and he or she can advise you how to proceed. In any event the incident will not ruin your life and the records of a juvenile court are confidential. You should be very careful however not to let it happen again.And you should not go back to that store without getting permission.
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
I feel how stressed you are! Since you are under the age of eighteen, you will likely be in juvenile court which means you will not have an adult criminal record unless you are convicted for another offense.