Will my parents be liable for underage drinking at a party? 3 Answers as of February 12, 2011

If I have a party with an explicit no drinking rule, and yet minors come to my party drunk, am I or my parents liable if something happens to them? I live in California and am currently a minor.

Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
If you provide alcohol to minors or allow drinking at your house by anyone under 21, you and your parents can be arrested and prosecuted in criminal court. If someone becomes ill or injured after drinking alcohol at your house, you and your parents can be sued for money in civil court. If the person arrives at your house drunk, there should be no penalty (in criminal or civil court), unless you provide more alcohol. That person should be carefully watched, however, because he/she might bring some alcohol into your house. If you have any more questions about this issue, please call my office.
Were I you or your parents, I would call the parents of the teens who appeared intoxicated and give them the option of getting their kids or having me call the authorities. The difficulty is that if minors show up at your place and are intoxicated, how do you prove that they were not allowed to drink. There is also the issue of contributing to the delinquency of a minor by letting him/her consume an intoxicant . There might be defenses but you still have to fight it. I repeat. If me, parent s come and get them or I call the cops.
Yes your parent can become liable for events that occur at their residence. However, most homeowners insurance will protect them unless they provide the alcohol to a minor.