Will my LLC be affected by my wife filing a chapter 7? 14 Answers as of July 04, 2013

I am a 40% shareholder of an LLC, my wife has played no part in the LLC but I heard that since we started the company after the marriage she might have ownership rights and it could be affected. Is this true?

Dan Shay Law
Dan Shay Law | Daniel Shay
Correct. If she files Bankruptcy, your assets (technically those acquired during marriage) must be listed on Schedule B too since CA is a Community Property State and you are married. If you own and LLC, or part of an LLC, that has assets make sure her interest is exempt on Schedule C.
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
You and she started it? Is she named anywhere? Does she benefit from it? VA isn't a community property state, so her filing shouldn't affect you.
When one spouse files a bankruptcy the community property assets are part of the assets. Not all property owned by a spouse is a community asset. A more cautious approach might be to file a chapter 13 payment plan.
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
Depends on where money came from yours or her.
Law Office of Harry L Styron
Law Office of Harry L Styron | Harry L Styron
Everything that you obtain by your labor (includes entreprenuerial and intellectual efforts) during marriage in California is community property. Community property is owned by both spouses together. Community property is liable for the debts of either spouse before or during marriage (see California Family Code section 910 et seq). When one spouse files a Chapter 7 all of the community property and all of the community debt becomes part of the bankruptcy estate, subject to disposition by the bankruptcy trustee.
    Sentinel Law P.A.
    Sentinel Law P.A. | Joshua Cossey
    Yes, your wife wife may be considered to hold a 50% interest in any shares you have in the company, along with any other unprotected assets that you have acquired after marriage. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of Sentinel Law, P.A., pursuant to an executed attorney-client agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without speaking to an attorney, as there may be details surrounding your situation that would give rise to further explanation or clarification.
    Yes, California is a community property state. She may have an interest in it. She needs a competent lawyer to file this case.
    That is correct. If your interest in the LLC was obtained during the marriage, it is a community asset. Thus, the 40% interest must be valued and, hopefully, exempted to protect it. What exemptions are available depends on the exemption laws applicable to your wife's case. Exemption laws are based on the state where you resided for the 2 years prior to filing your bankruptcy case or, if you lived in more than 1 state during that period, in the state where you resided for the greater part of the 180 days prior to that 2 year period.
    As long she has no ownership rights and you are alive her filing a chapter 7 will not affect your llc.
    If you live in a community property state, 1/2 of all assets acquired during the marriage belong to your wife and would be property of her bankruptcy.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    Yes, this is absolutely true.
    It may or may not be, and the answer will likely not depend on your marriage but on other things. If your lawyer does everything right, the answer probably will be no. If she files pro se, I'd get worried.