Will my license be suspended if I received a DUI? 60 Answers as of June 03, 2013

I was pulled over for driving 15 mph in a 25 mph zone and the officer assumed it was because I have been drinking. I was asked to take the sobriety test and refused because I had ZERO alcohol. I was arrested and charged with a DUI and once I was at the police station and took the breathalyzer test, it read 0.0%. I was charged with reckless driving and DUI. Will my license get suspended? I work with kids with autism and a suspended license is an automatic termination. I wasn't drinking, the breath test said 0.0%, what will happen in court?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
Generally speaking, there is no general automatic suspension for simply being charged with an OUI unless a person refuses the breathalyzer at the police station and gets a separate citation. In effect, a person charged has a somewhat restricted license until the case is resolved. Ultimately, if a person is convicted, they may have their license suspended but they could also get a restricted license depending on the circumstances. Usually, if it's a first offense and an impaired conviction, a person will receive a restricted license ultimately.
The Law Firm of David Jolly
The Law Firm of David Jolly | David Jolly
If your breath test results were 0.0 % then there is no way to prove a DUI (you were not drinking). The facts you provided make it clear - no DUI. This opinion could change if you refused the breath test at the station or they suspected you were under the influence of drugs and you refused a blood test, but based on these facts no DUI could be proven. However, if you are convicted of reckless driving (based on your facts I don't' know how) you would receive a 30 day license suspension.
You will be notified by the DMV that your licensed will be suspended for refusing a chemcal test which you are required to provide if the cop has reasonable cause to believe that you were DUI. To try to avoid this you will likely need to retain an attorney. As far as your criminal case is concerned, unless there is a blood test showing you had drugs in your system with a 0.0% alcohho level it does not appear that you will be prosecuted for that in court.
Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
You should be able to have your DUI charges dismissed based upon your breath test results. You should contact an attorney immediately though because certain administrative deadlines kick in upon your result. The status of your driver's license will be handled in a separate administrative hearing from your reckless driving/DUI charges. If you do not request an admin hearing within 15 days of your arrest, your license will be automatically suspended until everything is sorted out. Because of the nature of the procedure and deadlines associated with DUI charges, it is very important to hire an experienced DUI attorney to ensure that everything is handled properly and that you do not lose your driving privileges for some reason.
Your license will be suspended if there is a DUI conviction. Based on the details you mentioned in your post, this should be able to be avoided. I would like to know more about your case though? Did they ask you to do a urine or blood test to check for drugs? If so, did you comply?
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Armand Fried
    You should not refuse a breathalyzer if you had zero alcohol. What sense does that make? The refusal is the same as a finding of DUI. A good lawyer can probably get you off the DUI charge, and reduce the reckless driving charge.
    Vermeulen Law office P.A.
    Vermeulen Law office P.A. | Jacob T. Erickson
    This is a very odd fact pattern. I fail to see how they can charge you with an alcohol related driving while under the influence if there is no proof of alcohol use. However, they may have charged you with a driving while under the influence of a controlled substance or a hazardous substance. Your driving privileges can be revoked in a couple of ways. If the police have a test of blood breath or urine that shows a controlled substance was in your system or a hazardous substance was in your system, then the State can revoke your driving privileges administratively through the implied consent law. You should receive a notice from the peace officer who tested you or the department of public safety before your driving privileges are revoked in this manner. The second way that you could lose your driving privileges would happen if you are convicted of a driving while under the influence crime.
    Yes. On a first offense where you refused a test, you would be revoked for a longer period of one year whereas a typical first offense with a failed test would result in a revocation of 30 to 90 days. To challenge the revocation, you must file a Petition for judicial review within 30 days of receiving the revocation notice. This is a separate case from the criminal proceeding and the criminal proceeding has no impact on the license revocation.
    The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC
    The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC | Patrick J. McDonnell
    I don't understand why you were charged with either. Reckless driving is a misdemeanor. You would have to have been unreasonably interfering with other drivers or pedestrians. Were you? Also, it makes no sense that the officer charged you with DWI after the breathalyzer result. He could maybe have suspected that you were impaired by drugs and charged you with Driving While Ability Impaired by Drugs but you didn't say that or whether a blood test was taken.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    You could lose your license through a variety of avenues from anywhere of 60 days up to two years based on a number of different factors.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    Your license isn't necessarily going to be suspended. If your speed is the only evidence against you, the state will have a hard time proving you guilty. If you were to be found guilty of reckless driving, your license would be suspended for 30 days. But like I have said, it sounds like a weak case. What you can expect to happen at court is you will enter the court room and have a seat. When the judge comes on the bench, he or she will read some basic information to you. Then the court will give you three choices. The first is pleading guilty as charged. I don't recommend that at all. I recommend entering a not guilty plea because it keeps your options open. The second option will be for those people who cannot afford a lawyer to be screened for a public defender. The third option is to speak with the prosecutor to see if you can make a deal. In your case, I would suggest talking with the prosecutor and asking him or her to consider amending the charge to an infraction called "Negligent Driving in the Second Degree." That fits the facts better and is not even a crime. It won't result in a license suspension and does not involve jail time at all because it is a civil infraction.
    I would need further information as to the reckless driving charge. The alchohol charge hopefully will be dismissed since they apparently can not prove you were drinking. You should hire an attorney.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    The only way you could be convicted in California is if you were under the influence of drugs. Cal. law prohibits driving under the influence of drugs if they are affecting your ability to drive. A blood test will determine their presence. A breath test will not. That may be your issue. There also may be a question whether the cop had a right to stop you. Just going slow is many times not enough to justify a car stop.
    The suspension of your license is done by the DMV. You should request a hearing within ten days of the incident. At this hearing (over the phone) you and your attorney will have a chance to present your side of the incident. If you have any documents to present make sure that the DMV official has them before the hearing begins. At the court hearing you will be read your rights and have the opportunity to talk with a public defender. If the facts of your case are as you stated you should get nothing worse than a reckless driving.
    A DUI charge would typically set in motion an automatic suspension of driving privileges, but there are provisions for requesting an administrative hearing before a hearing officer who can dismiss the action against your license. You only have 14 calendar days in which to request this hearing or your rights will be lost. The time begins counting from the date of the arrest, so you would need to carefully read the forms given to you by the police and/or consult with an attorney very quickly.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    It should not be immediately if you blew under .08, however it can be later on. You need counsel.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    The only way to get your license back is to be found not guilty of your charges. Your lawyer can then ask the judge to provide an order for your license to be restored.
    Coulter's Law
    Coulter's Law | Coulter K. Richardson
    Get a lawyer that specializes in drunk driving. If those are all the facts, you should have no trouble beating this, but let a specialist handle this.
    Kenneth M. Hallum, Attorney at Law
    Kenneth M. Hallum, Attorney at Law | Kenneth M. Hallum
    In California, an initial suspension will occur if you are arrested for DUI based on alcohol with a .08% or higher. This does not appear to be the case for you. If however you are later convicted of DUI, alcohol and/or drugs a separate suspension will result. It does not appear that you refused a test, since you completed the breath test. It would be wise to consult a DUI lawyer because it sounds as if DUI may be a bogus charge, if the prosecutor proceeds, unless drugs or medication are involved which raises a complete set of different issues.
    Law Offices of Sean Logue
    Law Offices of Sean Logue | Sean Logue
    A first time DUI results in either a 30 or 60 day suspension assuming you are ARD eligable. I reccomend hiring a defense lawyer who just handles DUIs.
    The Law Office of Cindy Barton
    The Law Office of Cindy Barton | Cindy Barton
    If you have been charged within the last 10 days you must appeal to DMV or your license will be suspended whether or notyou are convicted. Look on your ticket for instructions. Don 't refuse to test, your license can be suspended for that alone. If the officer suspected drugs were in your system, he may have been looking for evidence of that. If you did sobriety tests and passed them, the officer will not have much evidence that you were under the influence of anything. You must have really made this cop mad.Have you ever heard that honey gets more flies than vinegar. Since your license is so important to you, you may want to rethink your reaction to a cop thatwas probably having a bad night too.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    A conviction on the charge of DUI does result in a license revocation. Merely charging the offense does not. If the intoxilizer test did not show alcohol in your system, the charge must claim "under the influence of a controlled substance".
    Did the police ask you to submit to a blood or urine test? If so, did you? What was the outcome of that test. You may be charged with DUI (drugs). If you were not asked to take any drug test, I doubt that your license will be suspended at all. If what you are telling me is the complete story, you should prevail at trial, or the State will dismiss the DUI charge. If you are not telling me the full story, and you refused a blood/urine test, you will be suspended for one year, if the case arose in Illinois. You could get up to one year in jail or a fine of $2500 as a maximum penalty if convicted of DUI. Your license could be revoked even longer. Contact an attorney ASAP.
    Law Office of Charles J. Block
    Law Office of Charles J. Block | Charles J. Block
    I would need to know a lot more before I could answer this question with any kind of certainty - I have a hard time understanding why a police officer would issue a DUI and reckless driving ticket for no reason.
    If you were charged with driving under the influence of alcohol you would have a good chance of having the charges dismissed or you should otherwise win the case. Make certain that you were not charged with driving under the influence of some substance other than alcohol. Driving under the infleunce of any substances that may impair the abiolity to safely operate a motor vehicle is no different than driving under the influence of alcohol.
    The prosecution will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were driving with an unlawful blood alcohol content. What evidence do they have? You need to get the assistance of a competent attorney and vigorously defend this matter.
    The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco
    The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco | Victor J Mazzaraco
    Your license will be suspended - and for 1 year. Refusing to take the test has harsh penalties, regardless of whethter the test would have shown no alcohol was consumed and regardless of whether there is or is not a subsequent conviction for DUI.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    If you have a legal chemical test that says 0.00% alcohol and they did not ask for any other test, you should not be charged or face DUI. No DL susp, just speeding and possibly reckless.
    Gigstad Law Office LLC
    Gigstad Law Office LLC | Robert Gigstad
    It sounds like you have a solid defense to your case. You need to contact an attorney in your area as soon as possible. If charged with a DUI in KS two different proceedings start, one is an administrative proceeding regarding your driver's license, and the second is the criminal proceeding which can involve jail time, fines, and license suspension. In KS you have a limited time to request the administrative hearing, otherwise your license is automatically suspended.
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. Savoy
    The Department of Motor Vehicles must prove that you were intoxicated when you were stopped before suspending your license. You must plead your case at the hearing. If you do ot appear at the hearing, your license may be suspended regardless of the circumstances. The state must also prove in court that you were intoxicated. Again, you must plead your case in front of the judge.
    Law Offices of James A Bates
    Law Offices of James A Bates | James A Bates
    You are not legally required to take a field sobriety test. You took the only test you are required to take and you passed it. You are good to go. The DMV will not automatically suspend your license unless you registered a .08 or more. I doubt very much that the prosecution will file the case. If they do, fight it all the way.
    Gutin and Wolverton
    Gutin and Wolverton | Harley Gutin
    If there was no urine or blood test request from law enforcement they should not and in my opinion cannot prove DUI under the facts you gave. You need to see a lawyer and you need to file for a Formal Review within ten days of your arrest with the Department of Motor Vehicles (if law enforcement took you DL or suspended it).
    Law Office of Robert Sisson | Robert Sisson
    Get yourself a good attorney as it seems as if u have a lot to lose if convicted. Yes, if convicted of.even your first owi. The minimum suspension is 6 months.
    You were charged with two misdemeanors, DWI and Reckless Driving. If you had no alcohol in your blood your attorney can get this charge dismissed. The Reckless Driving charge would be difficult to prove unless you almost hit a person or another car, and that charge is also likely to be dismissed. If you refused the breath test your license can be suspended, but you are entitled to a hearing. If the judge at the hearing hears that you had no alcohol in your system and does not believe you were driving drunk, stoned, or recklessly he may give you your license back. You should retain a good criminal attorney in your area. I have 27 years experience in DWI and traffic law and offices in several cities in New York State. Feel free to call for a consultation.
    Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
    Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
    This is a case that needs to be contested in court. If there is no issue of drugs, the case should be won at trial. See an attorney as soon as possible. There is a hearing that should be scheduled regarding the test that needs to be requested within 15 days of the arrest. This is very important and should not be lost by responding too slowly. Get with an attorney as soon as possible. Again, don't wait.
    Your license will still be suspended if you or your attorney does not request a DMV hearing within 10 days of arrest. You have a great case both in court and at the DMV. You need a DUI specialist to help you navigate the complicated waters of DUI law.
    DelSignoreDefense
    DelSignoreDefense | Michael DelSignore
    With a zero BAC, you should not be charged with DUI alcohol.
    Law Office of Ronald Aronds, LLC
    Law Office of Ronald Aronds, LLC | Ronald Aronds
    These are very serious charges. You are facing loss of license, heavy fines, and possible jail. You should hire a lawyer experienced in handling these types of cases.
    Todd Landgren, Professional Law Corp.
    Todd Landgren, Professional Law Corp. | Todd Landgren
    They probably suspect "DUI drugs". The case can possibly be dismissed. It most certainly can be reduced.
    Were you under the influence of any other drugs? I don't see them charging you if the test showed no alcohol at all unless they had proof of other drugs that could affect you. You need an attorney.
    Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
    Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
    Based on the facts as you have related them to me upon a conviction your license will be revoked upon conviction however if you had zero alcohol and the breathalyzer test shows zero alcohol than you should secure the services of an attorney skilled in the defense of DUI cases and vigorously defend the charges.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
    Law Office of Daniel K Martin
    Law Office of Daniel K Martin | Daniel K Martin
    Most likely you will not be convicted, It is important to understand that there are two basic charges that come along with your 'run-of-the-mill' DUI. One charge alleges that you were driving with a blood alcohol level of .08% or higher. The other allegation is that you were driving with enough alcohol or drugs in your system to affect your ability to drive. The affect must be significant enough to prevent you from driving with reasonable caution. You will be the .08% easily because the test came back .0%, the problem is going to be with the allegation that your driving was impaired. The prosecutor is going to have a difficult time convincing 12 people that you had enough alcohol to be impaired. They may be able to argue that you had drugs however without a blood test showing that then that will be difficult also. The DMV procedure is separate. You must request a DMV hearing within ten days of getting a DUI. If you have not already done it, make sure you send a fax to the nearest DMV safety office to request a hearing. It is called a Per Se hearing. Finally, you should speak to a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can help you request the hearing and fight the case in the Superior Court.
    bark & karpf
    bark & karpf | peter bark
    It is hard to figure this one out unless you were charged with Driving under the influence of drugs. Assuming the charge is only driving under the influence of alcohol, there is no basis for a suspension unless you are ultimately convicted, which seems unlikely.
    If you are found guilty of DUI or plead guilty to DUI your driver's license will be suspended. Therefore, you need to retain an attorney.
    Betts Legal Services
    Betts Legal Services | Shawn M. Betts
    If you took a test at the police station and it resulted in 0.0% then you will not lose your license unless you are convicted of DWI.
    My prediction is that you will win. You were smart to refuse taking the Standard Field Sobriety Tests. Good for you! Finally, a defendant does good. They are unreliable and subjective. They cannot suspend your license pending prosecution because they don't have the required blood alcohol reading. You are sitting pretty but you are going to be out attorney's fees. This officer should be disciplined and re-trained.
    Camp Law Firm
    Camp Law Firm | Kevin Camp
    In a DUI circumstance your license will only be suspended in a DUI situation in two cases 1. If you refuse a breath test or 2. If you fail a breath test. The only other way to have your license suspended is to be found guilty of a DUI. I would hire an Attorney because a DUI is not just alcohol it can be any substance that impairs you.
    Law Office of Richard Southard
    Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
    You present some very interesting factual issues but I'll start with your question first. In New York, your license is suspended automatically for a pending DUI case if you blow over a .08 so your license should not be suspended (at least not yet). Check with DMV to be sure. However, if you are convicted of any of the DUI sections of the Vehicle Traffic Law, there will be a minimum suspension of 90 days. As a NYC defense lawyer who handles a lot of DWI cases, I am intrigued by the many favorable defenses you present. I am curious if they took a urine sample or found any drugs in the car, including marihuana because as a matter of law if your BAC is below .05 you are "per se" NOT intoxicated. Also there are a lot of cases discussing what constitutes reckless driving (also a crime) so it would be interesting to research if your facts constitute a crime or even justify the officer stopping your vehicle. You may have a civil lawsuit when this case is over, so notify your municipality if that's required in your jurisdiction. New York City requires a notice of claim within 90 days.
    John Segelbaum, P.S.
    John Segelbaum, P.S. | John Segelbaum
    If you are convicted of either charge, your license will be suspended. Since you had not been drinking and were not driving recklessly, your attorney will try to get the charges dismissed.
    The Law Offices of Jaime Cowan
    The Law Offices of Jaime Cowan | Jaime Cowan
    You need to request a hearing at the DMV.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Unless you're convicted of DUI in court or your blood alcohol level was over 0.08%, you won't lose your license. There's something missing from what you wrote with regard to the investigation and why you could possibly get arrested for DUI unless there were drugs involved. Because you were arrested and are potentially facing criminal charges, your best advice is to sit down face to face with a local criminal defense attorney. You can discuss the facts in greater detail and they can review the paperwork you have to help sort through this.
    San Diego DUI Law Center
    San Diego DUI Law Center | Rick Mueller
    Only if convicted of DUI (VC 23152) or only if DMV order of suspension was served on you and you or your attorney failed to timely respond.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    I don't see how you can be prosecuted for DUI with a 0.0 BAC.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    Although many people who are arrested for DUII get a license suspension from the DMV, you will not because you did not fail the breath test (because you blew below .08). Your license will not be suspended unless you are convicted in court of the DUII. Since you blew .00, the state would have to introduce evidence of some recent drug use. This is usually done through the testimony of a police officer with specialized training called a "drug recognition evaluator" or DRE. The DRE is supposed to be able to recognize drug impaired drivers through a battery of tests. If this protocol was not done, I would fount that the state would or could prosecute you for the DUII.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
    Your license can only be suspended if you blew a breathalyzer result of .08 and higher or if you refused to blow all together. Get yourself a good attorney quickly.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    It is likely your DUI will be dismissed. However, it is still your responsibility to request a DMV hearing within ten days of the date of your arrest or your license will automatically be suspended.
    Kevin Smith, Attorney at Law
    Kevin Smith, Attorney at Law | Kevin Smith
    It is imperative that you contact an experienced DUI attorney to fight this case at both the court and the DMV. This case can and should be won, but you must present the right defense.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney